Trainer Consultancy on Rural Development
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 30 countries around the world.
DRC’s mandate is driven by three global strategic objectives within the DRC Assistance Framework: Saving lives and alleviation of immediate suffering among people affected by conflict, Safeguarding, restoration and development of livelihoods, and, Institutional and organisational change that contributes to protection of people’s rights and peaceful handling of conflict.
In line with DRC’s mandate to promote durable solutions to refugees, internally displaced and other conflict-affected populations, in accordance with DRC’s global policy of a balanced approach in providing humanitarian assistance, and finally in line with the principle that assistance should follow people, a decision has been taken to start a humanitarian assistance program in Abkhazia in September 2005.
The ultimate aim of DRC’s program in Abkhazia is to promote durable solutions to IDPs, returnees, and conflict-affected populations. The immediate objective of the intervention is to establish protection mechanisms and support development of sustainable livelihoods for conflict-affected populations hosted or residing permanently in Abkhazia through multi-faced actions.
In June 2014, DRC extended its programmatic focus to assist Syrian nationals who fled the civil war in Syria and settled since 2012 in Abkhazia.
In November 2016, DRC in Abkhazia initiated the project “Empowerment of local economic actors for basic sustainable rural development in Abkhazia” funded by the European Union aiming at making a significant contribution to rural development in three areas of southern eastern Abkhazia through multifaceted community based agricultural and non-agricultural interventions. The cornerstone of the action is to establish a socially responsible self-financing Rural Development Association (RDA) in South East Abkhazia.
Consultancy’s Overall Objective
The Trainer Consultant on Rural Development is expected to substantially contribute to:
Increasing the skills on the know and know-how for the staff of DRC and the Rural Development Association in Abkhazia on Development in general and Rural Development in specific;
Scope of work
The Trainer Consultant on Rural Development will prepare, deliver and evaluate the training on Rural Development to up to 15 staff in Abkhazia-Georgia under the EU funded project: “Empowerment of Local Economic Actors for Basic Sustainable Rural Development in Abkhazia”.
The trainer shall focus on Community Development and Rural Development concept definitions, approaches, characteristics, and principles. He/She should provide examples of Development projects from different regions and create a strong link between concepts and practical examples. Topics included in the training shall/could consider climate change and disaster risk reduction, management of natural resources, value chains, participation and inclusion amongst others. He/She should use interactive learning techniques and use participatory methods to ensure maximum participation and learning of the trainees.
The consultant is expected to:
- Assess the knowledge of the staff prior to the training development;
- Develop the training materials on Rural Development based on the assessment findings and discussions with the relevant staff members;
- Share the training materials in advance in English with the DRC management;
- Make changes if needed based on the feedback provided by the DRC management;
- Deliver the training in Russian language is preferred or English as a second preferred language;
- Conduct evaluation with the staff to measure the knowledge increase and satisfaction;
- Develop and share the final report describing the process, training content, evaluation results, findings and recommendations for further improvements and potential other capacity building areas.
Location and timeframe
- The consultant is expected to work remotely for all preparatory work and the evaluation report.
- The training duration is three days from 10:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m.
- The consultant is expected to travel to Tbilisi-Georgia and from Tbilisi to Abkhazia where he/she will stay for 5 days in total.
- Total number of working days: to be defined by the candidates as part of the proposal.
- All costs associated with travels including airfare (economy) and local transportation related to the consultancy, visa fees and accommodation will be covered by the organization.
- Food will be covered while in Abkhazia.
- The financial proposal shall include other costs not described above.
DRC will pay consultancy fees via bank transfer as follows
- 20% upon submission of the training materials accepted and approved by both parties;
- 50% upon completion of the training delivery;
- 30%10 days after submission of the report accepted and approved by both parties.
Qualifications and Skills required
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent training skills and experience in developing and delivering training on development in general and rural development specifically;
- Experience in working with NGOs in rural development projects and programs;
- Very good and friendly personality, ability to maintain liaison with the team and mostly with the trainees;
- Excellent knowledge of English; Knowledge of Russian is a plus.
Please submit your CV, cover letter, Training program describing the training objectives, methodology and techniques and a proposed budget for the consultancy period including the preparations, training, and report by clicking the apply button by no later than August 20th, 2017.
For any further information, please contact: Lama El Batal (Head of Office) at: email@example.com
Please note that applications sent directly to Ms Lama El Batal will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.dk
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Bratislava
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Education, Learning and Training
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2017-08-20