Senior Protection Officer-Kilis
The position will be based in one of DRC’s offices in South-eastern Turkey and will have day-to-day responsibility for: the successful implementation of the protection activities, the overall team management and oversight of protection programme staff in coordination with the Protection Coordinator; analysis of data (quantitative and qualitative); and coordination with other DRC departments. The position will be line-managed by the Protection Coordinator, with technical reporting line to the Protection PM/Manager.
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Turkey since early 2013, working with by and large with non-camp Syrian refugees and affected host communities. DRC is committed to basic humanitarian principles; including impartiality and neutrality, and offers the highest standards of accountability to the people it serves. The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long term focus on capacity building. In Turkey, DRC works partially through partners, also providing intensive capacity building support, while also conducting direct implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Support and provide inputs on protection programme development initiatives in coordination with Protection Coordinator. Propose ideas to program team for review and proactively identify opportunities based on needs assessment and gap analysis.
- Ensure that a protection risk analysis is in place and constantly updated in the area of responsibility.
- Oversee daily activities of Protection activities in accordance with agreed work plans.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to DRC, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Ensure confidentiality and data security controls processes are in place and complied with by protection staff.
- Track the progress of activities, ensure the collecting of program indicators and provide on-time internal status reports and external donor reports.
- Identify and advocate opportunities to mainstream protection activities.
- Regularly travel to field sites to ensure activities are on-track and provide technical support to field staff in line with existing protocols and guidelines.
- Oversee the management of sub-grantees, partnering community based organisations, and committee committees in line with signed MOUs and TORs.
- Ensure operational coordination between DRC protection teams, especially in utilising DRC facilities (community centres and multi-functional safe spaces) and community focal points.
- Assist Protection Coordinator in maintaining internal and external referral pathways.
Oversee regular service mapping.
Finance, Procurement and Administration
- Ensure familiarity with DRC’s Operational Handbook;
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
- Monitor protection risks and needs in projects sites on a regular basis in alignment with project requirements.
- Collaborate with M&E team to ensure monitoring activities are mainstreamed with protection and are technically supportive to ensure protection of vulnerable groups while gathering appropriate and accurate protection data.
- Develop monitoring systems for internal learning and appropriate program adjustments due to new opportunities/challenges;
Team Management & Capacity Building
- Provide supervision, guidance and monitoring for programme staff, ensuring clarity over programme plans and priorities and encouraging effective teamwork.
- Contribute to new staff on-boarding and staff induction process.
Coordination & Representation
- Support Protection Coordinator and HoO in identifying partnership opportunities and liaising with local NGO partners and CBOs concerning protection activities and project implementation;
- Promote relations and coordinate activities with other humanitarian actors, donors, UN, and civil authorities;
- As instructed by Protection Coordinator and HoO, maintain relationships with other NGOs, international organizations, government offices;
- Coordinate with other DRC offices regarding protection to harmonize approaches and reports.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- University degree or higher education relevant to law, statistics, social sciences, or related field;
- At least 2 years of proven international experience in field-based protection in humanitarian settings;
- Excellent analysis and report writing skills;
- Knowledge of protection standards and guidelines;
- Strong organisation skills;
- Proven experience in training, including development of training materials;
- Ability to quickly develop good insight and understanding of the conflict, the human rights situation and the political environment of the program country;
- Fluency in the English language, both written and verbal and knowledge of Turkish or Arabic.
- Above average computer literacy.
- ** Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position**
- Experience with case management protocols desirable
- You have to hold a Turkish citizenship or residency or valid passport with valid visa (the residency application will be required at the moment of the recruitment)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 4 months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 01.09.2017 and be willing and able to work in Kilis.
We offer a fair compensation package depending on your qualification and experiences as well as additional allowances such as relocation allowance and living allowances, if applicable. DRC Turkey is income tax exempted.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or Apply HERE.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 12.08.2017. Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact HR team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to HR team will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Kilis
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Legal - International Law
- Closing Date: 2017-08-12