ICLA Coordinator (National Position), Kirkuk Office
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk and Hamam Al-Alil.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of ICLA Coordinator is to Manage and implement delegated portfolio of ICLA projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated by ICLA PM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality of implementation.
The position will be reporting to ICLA Project Manager (PM)
This position will be based in Kirkuk with some visits to NRC site operations.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A University degree in law is preferred; alternatively a degree in social science, political science or related subject will be considered. Experience from working in a Protection or legal assistance implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context, including the delivery of technical capacity building trainings. At least two years experience in project management, including supervision of staff and ensuring compliance with internal policies and procedures. Fluency in spoken & written English, Arabic and Kurdish Language. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Line management of ICLA Officers, including Information & Counselling Officers, Legal Assistance Officers and/or HLP Officers
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to ICLA strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and assess new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of displaced persons in line with the advocacy strategy
- Ensure compliance by the ICLA Officers with ICLA policies, and implementation of ICLA case management and M&E tools
- Implement HR related processes (recruitment, orientation, training, performance appraisal) with respect to the ICLA Officers
- Ensure compliance by the ICLA Officers with NRC’s Human Resource, Financial, Logistics & Security policies and procedures, and amicably resolve any challenges that arise between the ICLA Officers and NRC’s support departments
- Regularly attend relevant Protection Cluster/Sector meetings in area of operation to represent ICLA, gather and share information with partners, advocate on behalf of vulnerable displaced persons facing Registration/Civil Documentation (RCD) or Housing, Land & Property (HLP) challenges, and contribute to the provision of effective and timely humanitarian assistance to displaced persons
- Foster productive relationships between ICLA and local authorities / humanitarian partners
- Promote synergies between ICLA and other departments within NRC
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills;
- Strong organizational and team building skills
- Ability to prioritise responsibilities, carry out multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Ability to work independently whenever required
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
The post will be for one (1) year contract duration with possibility of extension- subject to funds.
Salary: 7/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary scale
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: Kirkuk office with frequent visits to NRC field offices.
For more information, please find attached the job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Level not specified
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-08-14