Head of Finance and Operations (Re-announcement)
Are you an experienced Head of Finance and Operations able to lead and develop our country programme, which is operating in the centre of a highly volatile and sensitive environment? If yes, then this position might be for you.
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council is a leading protection agency pursuing our mandate to protect and promote durable solutions to displacement-affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), DRC apply a regional approach with operational presence in Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Iraq.
Present in Iraq since 2003, DRC is today operational in the Kurdish governorates, in and around Baghdad and in several South-Central governorates. Focused both on the influx of Syrian refugees and the current IDP crisis, DRC is providing assistance in a range of sectors including Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Protection, Livelihoods, Emergency Response (including food security, cash, and NFIs), WASH, Shelter and Mine Action. The Iraq programme presently employs some 450 national staff and 45 international staff, and is growing to meet new, emerging needs associated with ongoing and recent conflict in multiple locations.
About the job
The DRC Iraq program is managed out of Erbil and supports country-wide humanitarian activities out of three hub offices: Erbil, Dohuk, and Baghdad. The country program manages a portfolio of 40+ current grants and an expected annual turnover of 40+ million USD. DRC works in multiple sectors, with project ranging from short-term emergency response to multi-year early recovery and stabilization. These activities are supported by over 600 national and international staff.
In close collaboration with the Iraq Country Director, the Program Development team, and Head of Program/Deputy Country Director, the Head of Finance and Operations’ prime objective is to promote optimal and accountable usage of resources. The HoFO coordinates support to and ensures supervision of the country programs to ensure that DRC’s operations are characterized by quality, consistency and compliance in lines with DRC country, regional, and global strategic priorities, guidelines, and requirements.
The HoFO is expected to have senior level management experience and a demonstrable successful track record of organizational development and resource mobilization, be able to conceptualize and articulate DRC’s vision, and have the strong oral and written communication skills required to translate that vision into action.
Duties and Responsibilities
- With the support of the (senior) finance officers, ensure the existence and maintenance of accurate and timely Financial and Compliance Management. This includes overall planning, budget and control of expenditure for shared operational costs, but also coordination of budgeting and expenditure related to program implementation:
- Supervision, audit, and controlling the implementation of corrective actions related to the DRC standards for operations. This includes supervision of all financial reporting and financial procedures for DRC and implementing partners, including donor reporting and audits, cash flow and liquidity management, legal framework, and reporting relations to national authorities
- Ensure that payments and associated actions are in accordance with DRC requirements and national law
- Facilitate and analyze the Master Support Budget, country level budgets, and monitor costs and resource allocation needs
- Ensure compliance with and adherence to DRC policies, guidance, and handbooks; donor/auditor requirements
- Update and share general financial and administrative procedures, relevant policy issues, etc.
- With the senior Logistics and Procurement Coordinator, ensure proper management of field logistics systems, including but not limited to, fleet management, warehouse management, purchasing, stock control and management, transport, communications, customs and clearance, and other aspects of general logistics advice, including communication systems and equipment:
- Ensure that DRC’s minimum standards of procurement and logistics procedures and country policies are introduced and adhered to throughout the country operation, briefing and training all relevant staff as required
- Ensure controls, risk mitigation, and compliance procedures are in place and that DRC’s anti-fraud and corruption policies are implemented and adhered to
- Take a strategic approach to supply management utilizing sound practices to ensure accountable, timely, and cost-effective delivery of appropriate supplies to the program
- Ensure that a centralized asset register is maintained; ensuring that all DRC program and operational assets are logged
- Ensure proper management of the entire process in the planning of procurement and supply chain activities, inventory control, logistics and distribution, ensuring effectively-functioning processes to avoid costly delays and lost opportunities
- Ensure proper management and monitor of all transactional procurement including tendering processes, evaluation, contracting, contract management, legal considerations and payment conditions, contractors, performance evaluation, and risk assessment.
- Implement strategic procurement including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, and performance measurement
- Ensure Procurement team are managing the rosters of suppliers, elaborate supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms
- Ensure that procurement team prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual procurement plans and progress reports as required
Human Resources & Staff Management
- Via the management of the senior HR coordinator, ensure increased focus on Human Resources Development, including capacity building of local staff and effective delegation of responsibilities:
- Ensure that staffing needs are met through clear and transparent recruitment processes
- Ensure that DRC’s performance appraisal and staff development policies and procedures are implemented correctly and fairly in all DRC Iraq locations
- Assess training needs and opportunities as part of improving compliance with DRC standards
- Oversee the management of administrative tasks related to HR, including completion and approval of time sheets, leave approvals and tracking, etc.
- Ensure compliance with local labor laws and provide support regarding all legal issues
Reporting & Other
- Work closely with the Project Development Unit to ensure that donor’s requirements are known and shared
- Ensure that timely and quality project Admin/Fin/Logistics reports are provided internally and externally on time according to donor requirements
- Document support activities and developments and integrate lessons learned into program development.
- Serve as a member of DRC Iraq’s Senior Management Team (SMT)
- Serve as acting Country Director when requested / needed
- Flexibly carry out other tasks and responsibilities, as requested by Country Director, to ensure the effective management and operations of the country program
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience (including 3 years at senior management level) in international emergency and/or post-conflict settings.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage support functions in a large country program with multiple operational hubs and cost centers.
- Experience in negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors.
- Able to manage a large financial turnover and mitigate risk in a systematic manner.
- Experience of risk management, including fraud mitigation and investigation.
- Experience in organizational development and implementation of policies regarding staff, code of conduct, anti-corruption measures, and transparent management.
- Interpersonal and staff development capabilities.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and undertake a proactive approach.
- Strong experience in working with national partners and local authorities.
- Able to lead and mentor teams in a result-oriented and system-sensitive approach.
- Excellent communication skills.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a one-year contract, renewable based on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work as soon as possible and be willing and able to work in Erbil, Iraq.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.org under Vacancies. This position will be placed at A9 for Expatriates.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 13 July 2017.
Please note that due to the urgency of the post, the applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. DRC reserves the right to recruit ahead of the above mentioned deadline.
Candidates who applied in the first announcement, are kindly requested to not re-apply.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Banking and Finance
- Banking and Finance
- Operations and Administrations
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-08-14