SVN 2017/146 (P) - Project Development Officer (P2) - Abuja, Nigeria
Position Title Project Development Officer
Duty Station : Abuja, Nigeria
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Nigeria, and in coordination with relevant units at the Headquarters (HQs) and the Regional Office (RO), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for contributing to the design and development of new programmes/projects as well as for participating in donor liaison and programme reporting for IOM in Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Contribute to the design and development of new programmes/projects in coordination with CoM, Programme Managers (PMs), Headquarters (HQs) Units, relevant IOM Missions, governmental authorities, international and regional institutions and public/private institutions. 2. Draft and coordinate concept notes/project documents to share with counterparts and donors, finalize them for internal endorsement with respective RTS/HQs/ACO/LEG in close cooperation with the Project Managers and all relevant Units.
3. Produce internal situation reports for the senior management and visibility materials, such as external situation reports and newsletters.
Page 1 / 44. Assist the CoM with administrative, financial and management aspects of project development and donor liaison, including preparation of statistical analyses, regular narrative reports, communications, and presentations.
5. In close coordination with project managers, review current active projects in terms of stated objectives, outputs and impacts, and current monitoring and evaluation (M&E) strategies. Work with project and programme managers to establish a common M&E framework that incorporates regular reporting requirements and impact evaluation strategies.
6. Review existing datasets for each project and create or modify user-friendly databases that present data in an appropriate and accessible manner. Train staff in the use of data collection methods.
7. In collaboration with project managers, conduct retrospective impact evaluations for beneficiaries assisted through IOM’s programmes to assess subjective and objective impacts of IOM activities.
8. Document ongoing project activities through photography and multimedia presentations, in collaboration with the Media and Communications Unit and field staff. Prepare external communication products.
9. Pro-actively seek potential funding sources among government and non-government donors, in line with IOM’s overall strategy in the country
10. Liaise with diplomatic missions, national and international institutions, international and non-governmental organizations and other relevant partners and donors to discuss programme and project possibilities, coordinate and promote new activities and raise funds for new projects/ programmes.
11. Monitor compliance with donor regulations and obligations and follow up on meeting objectives within the agreed timeframe and budget; Coordinate contractual negotiations with donors and monitor the Mission's compliance with the Organization's related rules and policies. 12. Draft regular progress reports in line with IOM and donor formats for submission to donors and the HQs.
13. Represent IOM and participate at appropriate levels in seminars and other meetings aimed at developing new projects and programmes and promoting IOM's image and activities. 14. Undertake duty travel relating to liaison with counterparts and new programme development, as required.
15. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law, Human Rights, International Affairs, Migration Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in liaising with donors, governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
Page 2 / 4• Experience in preparing narrative and financial project reports, statements and/or projections; • Demonstrated knowledge of project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices;
• Strong skills in the development of log frames, result matrices and work plans; • Preferably within the International Humanitarian Field and within the organizations of the UN Common System
• Demonstrated ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences;
• Good level of computer literacy, including database applications;
• Ability to supervise staff and coordinate administrative activities;
• Working experience in the region is an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any local language is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 14 August 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Page 3 / 4For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 01.08.2017 to 14.08.2017
Requisition: SVN 2017/146 (P) - Project Development Officer (P2) - Abuja, Nigeria (55134383) Released Posting: Posting NC55134384 (55134384) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Abuja
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Junior level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-08-14