RDM Delivery Lead
Valencia | Madrid
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes. Reporting and Data Management (RDM) is an ICTD unit that provides users with a capacity for information through timely and reliable reporting, data and analytical tools. UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent will directly work under RDM Business Solutions Manager / Coordinator in New York.
The RDM Delivery Lead will be responsible for the following duties:
- Leads a team responsible for the design, plan, coordination and delivery of RDM services from UNGSC.
- Assist RDM BSM/Coordinator in projects and activities including project management, architecture, technical feasibility, requirement analysis and tactical resource and delivery planning.
- Take ownership of delivery of Umoja related BI and data services.
- Participate in the process of defining, designing and reviewing information management related projects, ETL mappings, data warehousing and business intelligence architecture, data quality, strategies and best practices.
- Prepare authoritative advice and guidance on the application and operation of various data and reporting systems and new technologies.
- Coordinate with data management, MDM, business intelligence teams and subjects
matter experts to establish standards/governance and resolve conflicts in data definitions, data sources, master data and business rules.
- Assist in analyzing project portfolio progress according to plans, requirements, standards and processes;
- Manage performance of all assigned resources and build partnership with business and other technical teams.
- Conduct business requirements gathering and gap analysis through discovery sessions, user
surveys/interviews and other forms of communication.
- Isolate trends and proactively identify potential operations issues and be able to consolidate and integrate a wide range of inputs. Must be able to decompose high level requirements and formulate them in detailed specification
- Ensure that the business requirements documents are maintained and the proper change control processes are followed.
- Makes presentations on projects, products and new ideas enabling the target audience to understand and use the models.
- Provide guidance and manage the performance of technical resources located in multiple remote locations
- Keep abreast of information management, master data management, business intelligence tools, data storage technologies and data warehousing development concepts.
- Perform other related duties as required;
The incumbent is responsible to abide by UNOPS and ICTD Data and Information Management Policy
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Professionalism - Strong theoretical background and knowledge of information technology/information management best practice implementation in the field of reporting, business intelligence and data management. Strong analytical and problem solving skills, including familiarity with software development lifecycle and the implementation and support of complex information ICT systems and projects. Strong theoretical background and practical knowledge of project management. Thorough understanding of multiple functional areas related to complex projects and the ability to identify business process improvements, along with system improvements, through the use of technology. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Client Orientation: Ability to identify and analyse requirements and develop appropriate project management and quality assurance strategies and solutions to meet the business needs. Ability to see quality through the eyes of the client.
Planning and Organizing: Ability to organize, plan and implement work assignments, juggle competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines. Ability to lead a project team to completion and provide technical guidance to staff.
Communications: Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally. Ability to effectively prepare specifications and other written reports/documentation in a clear and concise style. Ability to communicate with various levels of technical experience (developers/ operations/ end users/ management / support staff). Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey complex technical concepts and recommendations to both technical and non-technical staff at all levels, both orally and in writing, in a clear, concise style. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with all levels of business representatives and management. Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with a level of professionalism and integrity.
Teamwork: Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender balance.
Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology or in field related to the post description is required. A first level university degree (Bachelor's degree) with a combination of relevant academic qualifications and extensive experience in information technology may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in design, development, and implementation and maintenance of complex information systems mainly focus reporting, BI and data domains.
- Excellent reporting/BI, data architecture and overall data warehousing skills including several years of experience in managing information management systems,
- Extensive knowledge of SAP related data and BI products including knowledge of Umoja related reporting.
- Ability to work with multiple levels of management across technology and the supported organization units
- In depth skills in identifying and capturing business rules and business requirements in the context of information management systems.
- Proficient in resolving data and business intelligence related issues.
- Significant expertise with a variety of database software (e.g. SQL Server, Oracle), HANA , ETL Tools and BI Tools like Business Objects and MS Power BI
- Experience in managing the activities of development / programming personnel in dispersed environments
- Excellent team building and talent management skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication/presentation skills; able to tailor communication style to effectively meet the needs of the audience
- Solid programme/project management skills.
- ITIL Trained/Certified, PRINCE2 Practitioner or PMP certifications.
- Experience in Agile/Scrum methodologies
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: P4
Contract duration: One year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, and by the efficient and transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management.
With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Valencia | Madrid
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2017-08-14