Local Consultant, HerforShe Cordination Campaign
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN WOMEN leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
HeForShe is UN Women’s global campaign to engage men and boys as advocates and agents of change for the achievement of gender equality and women’s rights. The campaign encourages them to speak out and take action against inequalities faced by women and girls.
Globally, the campaign started in May 2014 and contributed to the adoption of Goal 5 of the Sustainable Development Agenda which stresses the centrality of women’s rights, empowerment and gender equality to human development.
UN Women Mozambique, in partnership with the Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Action and other relevant stakeholders, intends to implement the HeforShe Campaign with a view to mobilize a wide range of stakeholders from ordinary men and women, girls and boys, community opinion leaders, to political, economic, social, religious and cultural figures to actively engage towards the construction of socio cultural norms supportive to gender equality and women’s empowerment. The campaign must have a bottom up approach being informed by and represent the voices of women, men, boys and girls from all walks of life particularly those at the community/rural level.
Under the overall guidance of the representative and supervision of the programme specialist, the Campaign Manager (CM) will be responsible for the development of a high visibility and impact campaign for the period of 2017 to 2020 and implement all aspects of it until December 2017. The CM will work closely with the programme officers, communications focal persons and knowledge management officer to deliver a campaign with content related to all areas of work of UN Women at the country level and link up with the HeforShe Team at HQs to ensure alignment with corporate guidelines. Furthermore, the CM will engage with national partners through the UN Women Civil Society Advisory Group with a view to devise a context based campaign.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.Develop a Campaign Strategy and Action Plan including proposed programme of planned events in the agreed locations
- Draw a Campaign Action Plan for 2017 - 2020 and a road map leading to the launch of the HeForShe campaign in November 2017;
- Implement the HeForShe Campaign Action Plan from August to December 2017 with monthly highlights following the global HeForShe campaign calendar as pre-launch activities in Mozambique as approved by the CO;
- Devise and support the implementation of the partnership development strategy on the Campaign with an emphasis on private sector and media;
- Propose a criteria to identify, propose HeforShe ambassadors/role models across all society sectors and ensure their engagement;
2.Plan, coordinate and manage all HeForShe launch events including all forms of communication.
- Plan and coordinate all the activities should lead the pre-launch and launch of the campaign;
- Propose the format and organize the launch of the HeForShe Campaign;
- Coordinate the production of all campaign visibility materials such as pins, car-tire covers, stickers, campaign videos, billboards, T-Shirts, Bicycles, etc.);
- Develop social media content for the HeforShe Campaign
- Implement the action plan as approved by the technical team in the country office and monitor the overall progress
- On a weekly basis, interface with the technical team and provide updates, progress of the campaign and other planned events
- Organize all campaign related activities during the 16 days of activism and ensure media coverage;
3. Interface with third parties on the production of HeForShe communication materials and dissemination of key messages
- Engage with the service provider to create campaign production schedules, including communication products, social media, monitor activity and notify stakeholders of relevant outcomes and plans;
- Collaborate with key stakeholder and partners on coordination of campaign activities
- Propose key messages and modes of dissemination and lead collection, editing, production and implementation of branding and messaging;
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the CO HeForShe technical team
4. Prepare a final report detailing the process, compilation of all the content produced
- Take stock of the 5 months of the campaign and revise the strategy and Work plan for 2018-2020;
- Produce monthly reports and a final report on the implementation of the HeForShe campaign with lessons learned and conclusions.
- Timely development and implementation and of the HeForShe campaign strategy in Mozambique
- Timely and quality dissemination of campaign messages with agreed upon communication media
- Timely and effective launch of the HeForShe campaign and subsequent events
Quality detailed HeForShe pre-launch and launch campaign report including quantifiable results
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice and interact with high level decision makers
- Excellent knowledge of gender equality and women's empowerment in country
- Strong knowledge of UN system
- Ability to envision and lead the strategic direction for UN Women in the country
- Excellent networking and communication skills in both Portuguese and in English
Strong ability to use digital marketing technologies
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor's degree in communications and public relations or equivalent in related disciplines
Proven experience of social mobilization campaign development and implementation
Demonstrated capacity to mobilize and implement a multimedia and face-to-face campaign within a tight timeframe
- Extensive experience of working in close collaboration with media houses and other relevant stakeholders to promote the success of the campaign and maximize its visibility.
- Demonstrated capacity to mobilize and work with prominent people at all levels
- Capacity to monitor campaign audience and get feed-back
- Comprehensive skills and experience designing and developing visual campaign skills as well as marketing campaigns; strong graphic design, marketing and digital marketing, public relations, and strategic communication skills
- Strong oratory skills both in Portuguese and English. Candidate should be able to eloquently present and articulate the HeforShe concept to different audiences including, government officials, civil society, international development agencies, non-governmental organizations media houses, general public, etc.
Strong understanding of gender, gender equality issues and its intersections with poverty, HIV, economy, etc.