International Consultant - Team Leader / UN Women Liberia Peacebuilding Programme Evaluation
UN Women’s vision is a world in which societies are free of gender-based discrimination, where women and men have equal opportunities, where women and girls are empowered to lead the change that they want to see, and where women’s rights are upheld in all efforts to further development, human rights, peace and security.
UN Women works to bring about changes in the relationships between women and men in families, communities, societies and countries—inclusive, transformative, sustainable changes that do not represent a “zero-sum” game with winners and losers, but rather a “positive-sum” game that benefits all of humankind.
Gender responsive peacebuilding interventions of the CO were designed to address many of the root causes of the conflict in Liberia by, among other methods, using and strengthening inclusive community based structures and traditional mechanisms for conflict resolution. An important aspect of this was to promote the role of women and their role in management of natural resources, including land and community structures mediating and negotiating conflicts and finding solutions to gender based violence. Specific emphases were put on the sustainable livelihoods for women, and other groups through an inclusive approach that would empower them to engage positively with each other and with local and national institutions including security institutions and the local government.
UN Women Liberia Country office is seeking experienced and qualified evaluation team to conduct the evaluation of its peacebuilding initiative focusing primarily on minimum two key peacebuilding interventions implemented by the CO in the period 2013-2016. The evaluation will be commissioned by the Country Office (CO) as a formative (forward-looking) evaluation to support the CO and national stakeholders’ strategic learning, decision-making and future peacebuilding programming recommendations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for delivering the key evaluation products:
- Coordinate the work of team members during all phases of the evaluation process;
- Ensuring the quality of outputs and application of methodology as well as timely delivery of all products;
- Lead the conceptualization and design of the evaluation, the coordination and conduct of the country visit and the shaping of the findings, conclusions and recommendations of the final report;
- Adapt research tools [including sampling strategy and sample size] that were previously used for the baseline survey to the needs and purpose of the end-line survey;
- Supervision and quality control of data collection: survey, sample and questionnaire design, data quality and data analysis.
- Develop an inception report outlining the design, methodology and required resources and indicative work plan of the evaluation team;
- Assign and coordinate team tasks within the framework of the TORs;
- Direct and supervise national consultant on research and analysis of secondary evidence, design and implementation and analyses of the endline survey, project documents, databases and all relevant documentation;
Coordinate the conduct of data collection, present preliminary findings and prepare inception, draft and final reports.
- Demonstrates consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Diversity and inclusion:
- Treats all people with dignity and respect; shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, cultural and religious differences; encourages diversity wherever possible.
Drive for Results:
- Sets high standards for quality of work; monitors and maintains quality of work; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way;
Working in Teams:
- Acts as a team player and facilitates team work.
- Leading and Supervising:
- Provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; sets appropriate standards of behavior
- Communicating Information and Ideas:
- Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Self-management and Emotional intelligence:
- Manages Conflict / Negotiates and Resolves Disagreements.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in demography, sociology, international development, gender/women studies or related areas.
- Proven working experience of at least 7 years of advanced evaluation expertise and experience in a wide range of evaluation approaches including utilization-focused, gender and human rights responsive and mixed methods evaluations;
- Strong record of the advance experience in designing evaluations and coordinating/leading evaluation teams preferably in the international level;
- Documented experience of designing data collection tools, training enumerators, collecting data, setting up user-friendly databases and conducting quantitative and qualitative data analyses;
- Excellent evaluation management skills including strong participatory and team work skills;
- Experience in gender analysis and human-rights based approaches
- Excellent communication skills including ability to communicate with different stakeholders such as the country partners, senior management team as well as the Civil Society Board members;
- Knowledge of the local language is desirable;
- Country or regional experience in West and Central Africa desirabale
- Technical competence in UN Women thematic areas of Peacebuilding and humanitarian Action, Elimination of Violence Against Women, Women Political Participation, Women Economic Empowerment;
- Knowledge of the role of UN Women and its programming, coordination and normative roles at the regional and country levels
- Strong written and spoken skills in English, French desirable