Education Officer (National Contract)
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in 40 countries around the world.
DRC’s mandate is driven by three global strategic objectives within the DRC Assistance Framework: Saving lives and alleviation of immediate suffering among people affected by conflict, Safeguarding, restoration and development of livelihoods, and, Institutional and organisational change that contributes to protection of people’s rights and peaceful handling of conflict.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
The Education Officer will oversee daily operations of education activities in sites where DRC implements Education. S/he will coordinate development and implementation of quality programs and activities inside the Education facilities, providing on-going support to teachers, volunteers and those working with children and adults, and ensuring the child safeguarding and participation policies of DRC are strictly adhered to.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Responsible for implementation of Education projects activities in Central Greece
- Responsible for support and supervision of teachers, cultural mediators and volunteers within the Education programme and for field delivery of high quality programming in line with the education objectives
- Support teachers in development of non-formal and informal education curriculum;
- Oversee program processes, ensuring DRC standards and security procedures are followed;
- Ensure the projects progress are in accordance with grant agreements and are completed within time and budget;
- Contribute to preparation of timely and high quality progress reports, project reports, and donor reports;
- Responsible that procurement processes are effectively implemented and Finance and Support Services are provided with proper documentation for inventory record keeping;
- Screen for and monitor protection needs and gaps in and around the Education facilities;
- Report any potential protection issues/risks identified in the Education facilities to her/his supervisor;
- Coordinate joint events with children and adults from the host communities for community harmonization;
- Accomplish individual and collective assignments given by her/his supervisor;
- Contribute to staff performance reviews of teachers and cultural mediators.
- Contribute to coordination and cooperation with relevant Government Authorities, Civil Society Organization and other relevant stakeholders.
- University degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in development projects/humanitarian aid with a special focus on working with children at risk
- At least one year working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Strong verbal and written English and Greek skills
- Working knowledge of Arabic or Farsi is an added advantage
- Experience of community-based or community mobilization work in a humanitarian context is a strong advantage
- Social work experience and/or experience in humanitarian work preferably in emergencies
- Strong experience in providing recreational activities to children (drama, play, games, circus, sport, storytelling, drawing/painting, artistic activities, music, dancing)
- Ability to work with refugees in underprivileged settings
- Excellent creativity skills
- Strong computer skills
- High professional ethics
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Dynamic personality and ability to work under pressure
- Commitment to the values, vision and mission of DRC
- Commitment and respect of the DRC code of conduct
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
All work related transport costs from duty station to other work sites are refundable.
All communication costs work related are refundable.
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Athens (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on 25th of August.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Larissa
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Education, Learning and Training
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2017-08-25