Program Associate - Re-Advertise
The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
With the overall goal to enhance gender equality in the region, UN Women is implementing a regional program (2015-2018) that aims at responding to new challenges and opportunities with regards to gender equality and women’s empowerment, with emphasis on engaging men and boys and re-visiting masculinities. It seeks to understand the root causes of gender inequalities and to address them through an innovative bottom-up approach. The program is currently being implemented in Lebanon and Palestine, Morocco and Egypt and this position is to support implementation in Lebanon only.
The program intends to contribute to the following:
- Understand the root causes of gender inequality to develop evidence-based advocacy and awareness-raising tools;
- Strengthen the capacities and networks of gender equality and women’s empowerment civil society organizations, with a focus on the sustainability of new and emerging movements;
- Develop community-based solutions to promote gender equality based on innovative approaches and South-South exchanges.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the “Men and Women for Gender Equality” Project Coordinator, UN Women seeks to recruit a Program Associate, who will undertake the following duties and responsibilities related to the program:
1. Provides program management and knowledge management support:
- Assist in the identification of implementing partners for the grants component, including with the collection of relevant information, analysis and presentation of background information for internal approval committees;
- Support in the drafting of Terms of references, Memorandums of Understanding (MOU);
- Assist in the follow up of submissions of narrative progress reports by partners, and support in the review of these reports;
- Support in the collection and synthesis of success stories and lessons learned as well as obstacles and challenges from implementing partners;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-points and other presentations.
2. Provides financial management support:
- Support the creation of projects in Atlas financial system, preparation of budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, operational and financial closure of a project;
- Support the review of financial reports;
- Assist in the monitoring of the budget;
- Create e-requisitions in Atlas for the program.
3. Provide admin support:
- Draft formal correspondence, in both Arabic and English;
- Maintain proper filing, both soft and hard versions, of program documents;
- Provide translations, as requested;
- Present information for audit of the program;
- Arrange and coordinate appointments and meetings as well as programs for in-coming and outgoing official missions;
- Organize workshops, activities and events related to the program as well as regular project-site visits in order to monitor and evaluate the flow of activities on the ground;
- Assist with travel arrangements for regional/international travel;
- Perform any other duties as may be required by the Programme Coordinator.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve operational problems;
- Ability to manage business processes re-engineering, and implementation of new systems;
- Ability to support a team and team-building skills;
- Strong IT skills;
- Ability to prioritize work and to multi-task;
- Focuses on result and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to handle web-based management systems (such as Atlas financial management system);
- Excellent knowledge of office software packages.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Development, Political Science, International Relations, Human Rights Law, Business or Public Administration, or a related field.
- A minimum of 4 years of project management experience, preferably in international corporation organizations;
- Proven computing skills (word processing, spread sheets, database, internet applications);
- Very good organizational skills;
- Specific experience in gender-related initiatives is considered an asset;
- Previous experience in the UN system (including with the Atlas financial system) is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.