VN 2017/175 (P) - Programme Manager (Communications) (P3) - Geneva, Switzerland
Position Title Programme Manager (Communications)
Duty Station :Geneva, Switzerland Classification Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Head, Media and Communications Division (MCD) based at Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland and in close coordination with the Head of Online Communications Unit based at the Manila (Global) Administrative Center in Manila, Philippines, the successful candidate will coordinate global communication activities, which facilitate two-way communications and information exchange across various thematic areas and regions where IOM works.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Lead a team developing innovative communications strategies and digital tools to support program and project implementation globally.
2. Oversee the management of projects being undertaken with technical support of MCD. 3. Ensure the timely and effective implementation of MCD-related project activities both at HQ and in the field.
4. Design programmatic tools to support IOM’s campaigns aimed at reaching global audiences and influencing public opinion and leading the discourse on migration. Page 1 / 45. Develop partnerships by facilitating IOM`s access to leading edge communications tools, including virtual reality tools for remote staff training.
6. Support IOM missions in designing projects on awareness campaigns for target populations globally using various digital media channels.
7. Design and develop tools to collect video testimonies and feedback of migrants, including beneficiaries of projects to enhance IOM visibility and organizational accountability. 8. Design programmatic tools to support projects by tracking the needs and concerns of communities through appropriate digital feedback mechanisms.
9. Engage with other key actors working in the field of cross-cutting community engagement to mainstream best practices.
10. Support IOM’s Staff Security Unit (SSU) through the programmatic development and roll out of digital tools to improve staff security.
11. Collaborate with HQ departments, Regional Offices and missions, particularly technical specialists, to ensure widespread adoption of relevant communications tools and workflows. 12. Ensure timely and efficient sharing media content related to IOM’s use of innovative communications tools on the website and via other media channels, websites, social media, etc. 13. Ensure that gender is fully integrated into strategies and tools developed by MCD. 14. Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Affairs, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Extensive experience in information campaigns and communications with unique populations, including M&E of communications impact;
• Experience in strategic planning processes, and organization of programmatic methodologies that utilize participatory approaches, outcome mapping and behavior changes of multiple stakeholders;
• Previous experience in project management and coordination;
• Ability to apply key lessons and good practice derived from previous experience in new project design;
• Strong writing and editing skills in English, with previous experience in publishing to the web, newsletter and other media; and,
• Knowledge of international non-governmental organizations, INGOs, UN, CDAC network Page 2 / 4members, media development organizations and/or technology companies. Languages
Fluency in English and Spanish is required. Working knowledge of French an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 August 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Page 3 / 4Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 08.08.2017 to 21.08.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/175 (P) - Programme Manager (Communications) (P3) - Geneva, Switzerland (55142021) Released
Posting: Posting NC55142022 (55142022) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Communication and Public Information
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Operations and Administrations
- Communication and Public Information
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-08-21