Cultural Mediators Farsi/Dari – English/Greek - National Staff
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in 40 countries around the world. DRC’s mandate is driven by 3 global strategic objectives within the DRC Assistance Framework: saving lives and alleviation of immediate suffering among people affected by conflict, safeguarding, restoration and development of livelihoods, and institutional and organizational change that contributes to protection of people’s rights and peaceful handling of conflict.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations to the Athens area, Larissa and Thessaloniki in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee populations on mainland Greece, while maintaining its protection activities in Lesvos island. In mainland Greece, DRC is currently providing Site Management Support (SMS), similar to the roles and responsibilities of the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) sector, to the Greek authorities in 10 emergency reception sites.
Under the overall supervision of the Site Management Support (SMS) Team Leader, and in support of DRC field staff, the Cultural Mediators will provide translation and interpretation services, to ensure appropriate, correct, and smooth communication between the persons of concern, DRC staff and Site Management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Provide translation and interpretation for all DRC field staff, as required
- Contribute to maintaining and strengthening DRC’s relations with the site population
- Support the promotion of a participatory approach to site management and service provision in the sites
- Contribute to the continuous advocacy for increased communications with persons of concern throughout DRC units, duty bearers and other humanitarian actors
- Support the community based activities
- Other tasks as required by the SMS Manager, to support DRC’s activities implementation
- University degree is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written English or Greek and Farsi/Dari skills are required. All candidates will undergo a language test with a native speaker
- Previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Computer skills preferred
- High professional ethics
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Attica (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding Policies and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on 22nd of August.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Southern Africa
- Grade: Level not specified
- Human Resources
- Closing Date: 2017-08-22