Logistics and Procurement Officer
Title: Logistics and Procurement Officer
Reports to: Operations Coordinator
Start of Contract & Duration: One year
Posting date: August 8, 2017
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
DRC has started new program in Tigray regional state, where the organization is implementing a variety of youth protection activities in Hitsats, Mai-Aini and Adhi-Harush refugee camps, which are currently hosting a combined population of over 30,000 Eritrean refugees.
To achieve the overall and specific objectives of the position, the Logistics and Procurement Officer, in coordination with the Operations Coordinator will perform the following tasks and undertake the following responsibilities:
1. Logistics and Procurement:
- Handle Shire logistics and procurement tasks, including upfront procurement and inventorying, and ensuring the department it is fully compliant with DRC systems and is well organized and maintained.
- Provide high quality day-to-day support in all logistics and procurement functions to ensure strict compliance to DRC's procurement procedures, full transparency and timely delivery of quality goods and services as requested by the programs and other support functions. This responsibility may include assisting with tender processes, procurement committee meetings and bid analyses.
- Together with program staff, manage the quality control of all items received and ensure items are properly recorded, inventoried and stored or warehoused. In cases of distributions to beneficiary populations, the Officer may be asked to collaborate with program and monitoring and evaluation staff to ensure distribution lists are collected. The aforementioned tasks will require both adherence to DRC and donor policies and procedures.
- Assist in conducting regular market surveys of goods and services, and help the Logistics and Procurement Coordinator to develop a user-friendly procurement catalogue of local and regionally available items which is updated on a monthly basis.
- In coordination with program and support staffs develop weekly vehicle travel plan and ensure its implementation.
2. Technical and Operational Support:
- Work with both program and support staff to ensure quarterly procurement plans are developed, detailed description of needs are documented and that accurate estimates of procurement time frames are generated and agreed upon.
- Undertake weekly supervisory, monitoring and support visits to sub-offices and project locations as requested by the Logistics and Procurement Coordinator.
- Liaise with the Addis Ababa based Information Technology team to ensure all new IT equipment is best fit with the field office's needs and that existing equipment is maintained and well secured.
- Ensure all of DRC's facilities, including office and accommodation facilities, are well maintained, safe and secure.
- Under the direction of the Operations Coordinator, prepare monthly and weekly local level reporting for both internal and donor purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, or other relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 3 years of experience at an entry to mid-level logistics or procurement position, preferably with experience in the NGO field.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in Tigrinya, Amharic and English.
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding work environment.
- Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than August 20, 2017.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit. It is DRC policy to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to gender, race, national, clan or tribal origin, religion, age, sex, origin or ancestry, marital status, social status, sexual orientation, or status as a qualified disabled individual.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Shire
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Supply Chain and Service delivery
- Closing Date: 2017-08-20