Data Analytics Assistant
New York City | Washington D.C
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes. Reporting and Data Management (RDM) is an ICTD unit that provides users with a capacity for information through timely and reliable reporting, data and analytical tools. UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent will directly work under RDM Business Solutions Manager / Coordinator or his designate in New York.
The Data Analytics Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in developing corporate visualization solutions derived from multiple data sources using state-of the-art tools to enable insight and decision-making at various levels;
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner;
- Implement any software required for accessing, handling, processing, analyzing and visualizing data appropriately;
- Implement data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems;
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis;
- Build interactive dashboards and reports, using corporate analytics applications;
- Assist in developing documentation and training materials;
- Assist Analytics and Reporting Specialist with data and analytics related problem;
- Perform other duties as required.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by UNOPS and ICTD Data and Information Management Policy
Professionalism - Strong theoretical background and knowledge of information technology/information management best practice implementation in the field of reporting, analytics and business intelligence. Strong analytical and problem solving skills, including familiarity with software development lifecycle and the implementation and support of complex information ICT systems and projects. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Client Orientation: Ability to identify and analyse requirements and develop appropriate project management and quality assurance strategies and solutions to meet the business needs. Ability to see quality through the eyes of the client.
Planning and Organizing: Ability to organize, plan and implement work assignments, juggle competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines. Ability to lead a project team to completion and provide technical guidance to staff.
Communications: Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally. Ability to effectively prepare specifications and other written reports/documentation in a clear and concise style. Ability to communicate with various levels of technical experience (developers/ operations/ end users/ management / support staff). Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey complex technical concepts and recommendations to both technical and non-technical staff at all levels, both orally and in writing, in a clear, concise style.
Teamwork: Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender balance.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- First-level university degree or technical/professional diploma in Applied Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems / Technology, Engineering or related field is an asset or advantage
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of ICT, budget and finance, administration, human resources, or other related fields is required. A candidate with a University degree must have at least one (1) year of experience in the relevant area. A candidate who has a technical /professional diploma must have at least 3 years of experience in the relevant area.
- A minimum of one year of experience in development, implementation and maintenance of business intelligence/analytics or related areas is required.
- A minimum of one year of experience with MS Power BI, Tableue, Qlik Sense or any other similar self-service analytics tools is required.
- A minimum of one year of experience with Microsoft SQL or other relational databases is required.
- Experience in solving analytical problems using quantitative techniques
- Ability to take high level, loosely-defined business problems and identify precise, quantitative solutions
- Familiarity with analytical techniques such as text mining, sentiment analysis, predictive analysis and event detection
- Experience with Excel PowerPivot, PowerView, PowerQuery and MDX
- Basic familiarity with Geographic Information Systems such as ESRI ArcInfo
- A passion for empirical investigation and for answering hard questions with data in a clear and precise way
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA5
Contract duration: 1 year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, and by the efficient and transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management.
With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: New York City | Washington D.C
- Grade: LICA-5, Local Individual Contractors Agreement
- Closing Date: 2017-08-21