Programmes Analyst, Multiple positions
Background Information - Job-specific
The 3MDG Fund was launched in 2012 and is set to continue until the end of 2018. By pooling over $283 million through the contributions of seven bilateral donors – Australia, Denmark, the European Union, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States of America – 3MDG promotes the efficient use of development funds. 3MDG accelerates progress towards the health Millennium Development Goals and the achievement of Universal Health Coverage in Myanmar. In close partnership with the Government of Myanmar and others, it strengthens the national health system at all levels, helping poor and vulnerable people access quality health services.
A new structure for the 3MDG Fund
In 2016 the Ministry of Health and Sports (MOHS), in consultation with Health Partners, developed the 2017-2021 Myanmar National Health Plan (NHP) – a roadmap for the country’s response to health challenges in the next five years.
The 3MDG Fund, now extended until the end of 2018, aims at supporting the NHP and fully aligning with its approach. This entails:
- Focusing efforts on the delivery of an Essential Package of Health Services (EPHS) to all populations in Myanmar;
- Focusing on equity and on access to Health for the most underserved populations (remote and conflict areas, marginalized populations)
- Ensuring that all interventions – including through support to service-delivery – contribute to capacity building and Health Systems Strengthening (HSS).
As part of this transformation, the Fund Management Office (FMO) is being reorganized, moving away from a vertical structure by components and towards an organigram in which a Strategy Department provides cross-cutting support (Health, HSS, Civil Society, Conflict Sensitivity) while a Programmes Department manages grants and interventions in selected geographies.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Programmes and the direct supervision of the Senior Team Leader, Programmes, the Programmes Analyst is responsible for the management of 3MDG grants and programmes in the selected geographic area. In particular:
- Assist in needs and resource assessments
- Draft Terms of Reference for calls for proposals
- Assist in the evaluation of proposals received and the selection of Implementing Partners
- Assist grant negotiations and signing.
- Grant management
- Manage grants and partners as appropriate through disbursements, monitoring visits, advice on implementation, negotiation of contract amendments and other tasks as required.
- Collaborate with the M&E Team and assist in routine monitoring of grant progress
- Review (and help clear) work plans and reports submitted by the Fund’s Implementing Partners
- Assist the 3MDG Programme Support Unit in following up project audit recommendations
- Work with Procurement Unit to ensure partners have adequate supplies for implementation
- Portfolio improvement
- Work closely with 3MDG colleagues to promote an efficient, integrated portfolio which delivers integrated HIV/Harm Reduction, TB, Malaria and MNCH services in the most cost-effective way;
- Work closely with Health and Community Systems Strengthening and Community Engagement and Conflict Sensitivity colleagues to ensure grants contribute to the strengthening of Myanmar’s health system and community engagement;
- More generally, work in close collaboration with colleagues in the Strategy Department: share information, seek their advice, give due consideration to advice received, and strive to move the portfolio forward in a way that is both managerially and technically sound.
- Maintain a clear understanding of grant outcomes, in particular as they relate to the strengthening of health systems and the improved health situation of vulnerable communities. Regularly communicate on these outcomes with partners and stakeholders.
- Identify and suggest ways to expand populations’ access to the EPHS
- Propose any initiative that may be necessary to adjust grants and portfolios and ensure they are in compliance with the Fund’s policy and strategies;
- Knowledge Management
- Report any issue impacting the 3MDG’s interventions in Myanmar relevant to the 3MDG
- Assist in promoting information sharing on all aspects related to public health in Myanmar
- Closely work with Communication for external and internal communication of health related information on the 3MDG Fund
- Perform any other duty as may be requested by the supervisor
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (management, health, or other); or
- BA or BSc degree in a relevant field with two additional years of public health work experience is required.
- Two years of relevant experience in the management of health or development programmes
- Progressive experience in public health is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision in a complex environment
- Good writing and analytical skills
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Myanmar is required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA-9
Contract duration: 1 year (renewable subject to performance and budget availability)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Yangon (Myanmar)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Public Health and Health Service
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2017-08-30