Area Manager Adjumani
Adjumani / Pakelle
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. In Uganda, the DRC programme provides comprehensive assistance and protection to refugees and other vulnerable populations, supports durable solutions to protracted displacement and works to reduce armed violence (for more information go to www.drc.dk).
Under the overall guidance of the Country Director, and the Management Team in the Country Office, the Team Leader is to ensure quality implementation of projects, ensure compliance to financial and administrative procedures for the project, and responsible for the planning and implementation of adequate security precautions within the programme area to ensure the safety of all staff and assets.
The Area Manager represents the Danish Refugee Council in Adjumani and has the direct responsibility for the management, implementation and continued development of the DRC outputs and activities
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements;
- Prepare project work plans in accordance with annual planning and funding cycles;
- Ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analysed and distributed and that relevant assessments are conducted in the project area;
- Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations, based on agreed formats and schedules;
- Provide input for the continued development of a sustainable strategy for DRC’s multi-sectoral assistance in Adjumani.
Administration and Personnel Management
- Supervise budgeting and project expenditures, and prepare financial reports with assistance from the Grant- and Finance Managers;
- Supervise project human resources in the field and at offices, and co-manage shared human resources with other programme. This includes further development of staff job descriptions, their training and monitoring, and recruitment;
- Implement and monitor, and where necessary revise implementation of DRC administrative guidelines and -policies, safety– and security procedures, logistics support and other tasks associated with efficient day-to-day running of the operations;
- Be responsible for organisational development for the project, including staff assessments.
- Maintain close relations with all relevant stakeholders including the donor and UN agencies, officials of the Office of the Prime Minister, district- and sub-county authorities, other donor representatives, INGOs, NGOs and CBOs;
- Participate in the relevant sector coordination meetings in the field and ensure DRC’s inputs to development of assistance modalities that adheres to humanitarian principles and other international frameworks that DRC has subscribed to.
- In consultation with the Country Director and Head of Finance and Administration, ensure correct and timely narrative and financial reporting to donor(s);
- Together with the Head of Programs, identify opportunities for new projects;
- Assist the Head of Program to plan and develop concept papers, budgets and project proposals;
- Ensure effective coordination and visibility to the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors and relevant stakeholders.
The desired candidate must be able to conceptualize and articulate DRC vision and have the strong oral and written communication skill required to translate the vision into tangible action.
Experience and understanding of refugee and displacement issues is an advantage and ideally the candidate will have a good understanding of the region.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
i.Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results in a fast paced environment
ii.Collaborating: You lead initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
iii.Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while setting high standards
iv.Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively
v.Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
- Advanced University Degree in Human Rights, Social Science or related field or equivalent practical experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in programme development and implementation in emergency context, including quality monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Experience in a country-level senior management/coordination position
- Experience working in refugee operations in more than one context
- Relevant technical expertise/experience in some sectors of humanitarian programming such as shelter, livelihoods/resilience, and protection, etc.
- Proven ability to build external relationships with diplomacy, tact and professionalism in a complex and demanding environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and support multi-sector programmes including operational planning and problem solving.
- Demonstrated experience of people management and team-building.
- Demonstrated experience of financial and asset management including multi-donor programming
- Demonstrated ability to undertaken representation with senior government officials.
- Excellent written and presentation skills in English
- Strong analytical capacity for programme design and development.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency in computer packages and financial software i.e. Word, Excel, Power point etc.
- Must show ability to work in an isolated and challenging environment.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework into the work of DRC
Duty station: Adjumani-Uganda
Reporting: This position reports to Country Director
Contract: 1 year contract dependent on both funding and performance. Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Ugandan National staff.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.dk under vacancies no later than 30th August 2017.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Adjumani / Pakelle
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-08-30