Procurement Officer - Moldova Energy and Biomass Project - UNDP Moldova
Moldova Energy and Biomass Project Phase II (2015-2017) is a 9.4 million EUR project, funded by the European Union and UNDP and implemented by UNDP aims to contribute to a secure, competitive and sustainable energy production in the Republic of Moldova through targeted support to the most viable and readily available local source of renewable energy.
The project purpose is to increase the use of renewable energy technology significantly through fuel switching and energy efficiency. It primarily focuses on improving heating comfort levels in rural public sector buildings including schools and community centres by using readily available waste straw supplied from local agricultural enterprises. The project will also stimulate local markets for improved household heating, industrial cogeneration, and biomass-based briquetting, as well as raise local capacity in the biomass sector, and promote the benefits of biomass energy and the project.
The first phase of the Project was successfully implemented by UNDP during 2011-2014. In the context of a clearly identified need to further support the consolidation of the emerging biomass market in the country, as of January 2015 the project entered into its second phase with an extension timeframe until November 2017.
The project consists out of four inter-related components as follows:
1. “Municipal biomass heating” aims to improve municipal heating of public buildings in rural areas and establish related fuel supply markets. Under this output 60 biomass heating systems and at least 45 solar systems for hot water provision will be installed particularly in the Transnistrian region, in the ATU Gagauzia, in the district of Taraclia and in small towns.
2. “Household and Heat Supply Market” will contribute to further develop the domestic biomass fuel market, aiming at ensuring the sustainable supply, the enhanced competition between the producers, the application of quality standards, the certification of products and the protection of the final consumer.
3. “Capacity Development” will continue to be a key element of the component being tailor-made and extended to cover Transnistria, Gagauzia and Taraclia district, as well as small towns and include solar energy as new element. LPAs, facility managers and boiler operators will continue to receive technical training on management of biomass heating systems. The vocational education and training (VET) sector will be addressed in view of a consolidated effort to equip the Moldovan labour force in support of the emerging markets and technologies.
4. “The opportunities and benefits of biomass energy for Moldova are well known, visibility of project results is promoted” aims to a wide-spread awareness raising activities on the opportunities and benefits of biomass energy will be further facilitated, with a specific focus on increasing the uptake of renewable energy technologies in ATU Gagauzia and Taraclia district, and Transnistria Region, and visibility of the partnership and impact of the action will be effectively promoted.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Officer contributes to the effective and efficient implementation of the Moldova Energy and Biomass Project. The incumbent applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Officer works in close collaboration with the Administration and Finance Project Associate, and the rest of the Project Team, and with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery.
The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Summary of Key Functions:
The Project Officer will be part of the Project Management Team (PMT) and will, under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, be responsible for providing high quality procurement services to the Moldova Energy and Biomass Project (MEBP) ensuring their effectiveness, transparency, best value for money, according to UNDP rules and procedures and meeting EU requirements.
The incumbent will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the project) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients. The Officer manages the project procurement and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement. The incumbent promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the project. More specifically:
Procurement and Contract management
- In accordance with the Work Plan arrange for timely and efficient procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, development of bidding documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of conditions of contracts, in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Organization of procurement processes with respect to consultancy services (SSAs, RLAs), receipt of applications and financial proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Provision of researched information for formulation and implementation of contract strategy and strategic procurement including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, e-procurement introduction.
- Promote and monitor the transparency of the procurement and contractual processes, and the use of international best practices; ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP/EU procedures;
- Draw up and maintain evidence and monitoring of awards and contracts with project implementing partners, consulting organizations, contractors, etc.;
- Monitors supplier’s performance with respect to the quality and timely delivery of goods and services;
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultation with project management;
- Prepare the procurement plans for the project and monitor their implementation;
- Prepare the submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP);
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Physically clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various project sites;
- Maintain the equipment and spare inventory including verification and transfer when required;
- Prepare periodical procurement and inventory reports;
- Create and manage e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day MEBP implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Work with the project’s Training Specialist to provide on-the-job training and technical support to municipal authorities and potential fuel suppliers in parallel to the implementation of biomass heating projects, in the areas of competitive tendering, management of fuel supply, and quality control;
- Review the procurement-related content of training materials on biomass energy systems developed under the project, and advise the Training Specialist as necessary;
- Work with the project’s Business Development Specialist and Engineers to develop an outline design and contract a suitably qualified technology provider for a financing facility (most likely leasing or hire-purchase) for the supply of a package of equipment and services to prospective biomass fuel supply contractors;
- Undertake any other tasks requested on an ad hoc basis.
- In coordination with the Administration and Finance Project Associate, assume responsibility for and manage effectively and efficiently financial, physical / material assets, etc. in order to meet expected results.
- Build, motivate and lead a high performing team consisting of short term experts as required.
- Keep abreast of UNDP procurement rules, regulations and processes and maintain an optimum level of knowledge by continuous learning.
- Provide regular reports to the Project manager and flag any deviations from the work plans immediately.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy;
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Management, Finance or other closely related fields. Specialized training in procurement is required.
- At least three years of relevant professional experience at the national or international level in procurement, supply chain management or purchasing. Profound knowledge of tools, procedures and international standards for the purchase of goods and services, preferably within the context of development programmes/projects.
- At least three years of previous working experience in the implementation of international projects, preferably involving large scale procurement processes, or work for a donor organization, consulting company or NGO is compulsory.
- Experience in similar positions in a UNDP and/or EU-funded project is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written Romanian, Russian, and English is a must.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
UNDP is an employer devoted to gender equity and to providing equal opportunities to both women and men.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Chişinău
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Energy sector
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-10-31