Senior Manager, Humanitarian Assistance
Ottawa (Canada) | Panamá
CARE Canada is currently seeking a Senior Manager, Humanitarian Assistance.
Under the leadership of the Director of Global Programs and Impact, the Senior Manager, Humanitarian Assistance is responsible for:
· Ensuring oversight and effective implementation of CARE Canada’s humanitarian and transition/early recovery program portfolio, with a clear focus on strengthening gender equality, women’s voice, and the resilience of affected populations
· Managing and leading a team of Program Managers and Program Officers to effective support and enable Country Offices to deliver high quality humanitarian programming, liaise with key donors, monitoring, evaluation, and applying learning
· External representation: the role will require confidence with GAC policies and procedures, as well as representation with Canadian partners, government desks, and CARE International
· A critical part of the role is working in collaboration with the Senior Managers in Global Health, Women’s Economic Empowerment, and Food Security & Resilience to Climate Change to ensure strong linkages and programming leadership across the humanitarian and development nexus.
The Humanitarian Assistance and Emergency Team currently manages a programming portfolio of $25 – 30 million CAD annually. This is comprised of funding from Global Affairs Canada, various UN Agencies, including UNCHR, WFP, UNFPA, FAO and UNICEF and the Humanitarian Coalition. This is a complex funding portfolio made up of over 25 contracts, all with differing donor obligations, short implementation timelines and detailed reporting requirements.
Because of the nature of the work, demands are fast-paced and unpredictable. This position requires an individual who is very flexible, provides expertise and leadership at a senior level and who works well within a team. A significant understanding and practical experience integrating gender equality in humanitarian interventions is required. The Senior Manager must also have a thorough understanding of Government of Canada funding mechanisms (grants and contribution), as well as ability to build networks with external and internal stakeholders.
Is this right for you? Here’s what we’re looking for:
· You have senior management experience in complex crises, natural disasters and conflict, including a significant portion of this experience spent overseas You are a seasoned fundraiser with a solid understanding of your craft
· You have experience in and are committed to promoting gender equality within humanitarian work
· You have a high level of demonstrable leadership and strategic management skills - including management and leadership of multi-sector teams in an emergency setting
· You have a track record of high resilience under pressure and ability to support and motivate teams in these situations
· You have the ability and experience working collaboratively in a matrix management, and supporting direct reports to do the same
· You have a high political acumen and excellent team building and interpersonal skills
· You have a very good understanding of the humanitarian system, principles and key relief sectors (e.g. strong knowledge of and demonstrated experience with IHL, the Red Cross Code of Conduct, SPHERE, IASC Gender, HAP and understanding and experience of the cluster approach to coordination and response)
· You have the capacity to work closely with communities affected by disaster, including familiarity with participatory assessment methods, with a focus on gender equality and ability to identify specific needs of men, women, boys and girls.
· You have excellent assessment, report writing, proposal development, and emergency strategy development skills.
· You have well-developed written and oral communications skills with high-level experience in representation, coaching and mentoring.
· You have excellent skills and interest in mentoring and capacity building of national staff in a broad range of emergency response and leadership skills including gender equality and diversity
· You have the ability and willingness to undertake frequent travel; ability to deploy at short notice for up to 12 weeks
· You have a Bachelor’s degree in International Development or Humanitarian Action or in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
What would make you extraordinary?
· A second key language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
· Previous experience managing complex humanitarian and development Global Affairs funding
· Master’s degree in international development or Humanitarian Action, or in a related field.
· Specialised training in humanitarian/emergency response.
· Technical proficiency in one of CARE’s focus areas (WASH, shelter, food security/nutrition, sexual and reproductive health, gender in emergencies, gender-based violence, logistics, emergency preparedness)
What we offer:
Generous leave entitlements, including December holiday closure;
Full benefits: dental, medical, vision care, paramedical, life insurance (some exceptions may apply) and professional and confidential Employee Assistance Program services;
Learning and Development opportunities, and specialised training;
Flexible work hours and a work from home policy;
Free parking; transportation routes, central location which is close to popular amenities;
We also have an onsite BBQ and shower facilities;
Founded in 1945, CARE is a leading international humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. In over 80 countries, CARE works with the poorest communities to improve basic health and education, enhance rural livelihoods and food security, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity, help vulnerable people adapt to climate change and provide lifesaving assistance during emergencies. We place special focus on working alongside women and girls, living in poverty, because, equipped with the proper resources, women and girls have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. To learn more, visit www.care.ca
If you are someone who thrives on challenge, loves to be part of a dynamic team and you are passionate about making a difference, then this opportunity is for you and we would like to hear from you. Please apply directly at https://goo.gl/Nwgw9D before November 28 2017. Please note resumes will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and the advertisement will be removed once candidate has been identified.
CARE Canada is committed to employment equity, embraces diversity in the workplace and supports applications from all qualified applicants. Recruitment-related accommodations for persons with disabilities are available on request.