Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified candidate who would like to work with DRC as legal Assistant.
About the job
Under the direct supervision of the Legal Officer, the Legal Assistant is expected to support in the planning and implementing of the legal activities in the Bekaa. This includes assisting in legal awareness sessions and counseling sessions for beneficiaries and supporting in the follow up of cases in need of legal assistance with the beneficiary’s best interest and with the aims and principles of DRC and the legal context of Lebanon.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
• Develop and disseminate information materials on legal services, civil documentation, residency and Housing, Land and Property Rights (HLP) issues in particular;
• Support in individual legal counseling services and legal awareness sessions for beneficiaries on legal issues related to: a) Housing, Land and Property Rights (HLP), b) Legal identity including legalization of necessary documentation to access rights and services (residence permit, marriage registration, birth registration, etc);
• Follow up on legal documents for beneficiaries; and Identify beneficiaries in need of legal representation according to DRC’s eligibility criteria;
• Work closely with the Protection and Livelihood team and provide legal awareness sessions to ensure the refugees are aware about their rights;
• Inform refugees about project activities and their legal rights and counsel them on means by which they may receive assistance from DRC, partner organizations, or the government;
• Provide weekly and monthly reports to the Legal Officer on activities and numbers of beneficiaries reached;
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a University Degree in Lebanese Law/ International Law, we also expect the following:
• Prior experience in working with or coordinating with other international humanitarian organizations or governmental authorities
• Familiarity with international protection and human rights legal standards
• Good communication skills and ability to conduct awareness sessions with beneficiaries
• Prior field experience in the displacement context is highly preferable
• Basic computer skills
• Fluent in Arabic and Average in English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 30th April 2018
Duty Station: Bekaa
Start date: December 2017
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact email@example.com.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or go to www.drc.ngo
under current vacancies.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 28 November 2017
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.