Technical Compliance and Investigations Officer (National Position), Country Office, Erbil - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk and Hamam Al-Alil.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, Housing and Land Property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-Led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the Technical Compliance and Investigation Officer is to support the compliance review and investigation capacity in NRC Iraq including taking a lead on minor casework, allegations of misconduct such as theft, bribery, favouritism and similar. The main duty of The Technical Compliance and Investigation Officer is to support further development of NRC’s compliance framework in Iraq based on a thorough understanding of NRC’s procedures and guidelines. The Technical Compliance and Investigation Officer will be reporting to Compliance and Risk Management adviser. The position will be based in Country Office in Erbil.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A university graduate with minimum (2) two years of experience working as a specific audit and/ or investigation in humanitarian/ recovery context. Ideally the candidate should be able to use MS Word, Excel, Power point and Outlook. S/he should have the ability to prioritize responsibilities, carry out multiple tasks simultaneously, and able to meet deadlines. Fluency in spoken and written English, Kurdish and Arabic is a must. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct is essential.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support the Compliance and Risk Management Adviser in internal investigative work in accordance with NRC procedures, international principles and local legislation.
- Advise NRC staff on prevention and reduction of fraud, corruption and unnecessary waste.
- Ensure that corruption risk mapping is conducted annually across all offices and all mitigations are being followed up with.
- Carry out internal investigations at NRC locations throughout Iraq.
- Research and develop innovative approaches to preventing corruption.
- Work with colleagues to incorporate best practice into risk and control activities.
- Knowledge on how to use webcruiter or any other online recruitment system.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Willingness and ability to travel within Iraq at short notice
- Knowledge of NGO procurement, HR, Security and Finance procedures
- Knowledge of NGO operations, programming and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector
The post will be for (12) twelve months’ contract duration with possibility of extension, subject to funds.
Salary: 6/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary scale.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: Country Office, Erbil with some visits to NRC area offices.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information, please find attached the job description
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Legal - Broad
- Operations and Administrations
- Banking and Finance
- Internal audit, Investigation and Inspection
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Ombudsman and Ethics
- Closing Date: 2017-12-18