Area Program Manager - Syria
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
In the Middle East, NRC has over 3000 staff dedicated to assisting people affected by conflict in Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Palestine. Its humanitarian interventions are based upon its programming expertise in the Core Competencies of Shelter, Education, Water and Sanitation Hygiene, Food Security, along with Information Counselling and legal Assistance (ICLA) to forcibly displaced people.
The Syrian Crisis is well into its sixth year, but the level and intensity of conflict in the country remains high. Humanitarian and protection needs continue to grow inside of Syria as a result of the ongoing conflict and consequent complex emergency situation in which displacement is both massive and widespread.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are seeking a motivated humanitarian professional to join our Syria Response Office’s operations. They are a university graduate with at least 5 years’ experience managing projects for an international organization in an emergency setting.
We are particularly looking for a dynamic leader, who possesses effective interpersonal communication skills with the ability to influence others. Fluency in English, both verbal and written is required. Knowledge of Arabic and previous work experience in the Middle-East, specifically in Syria will be a distinct advantage.
The Damascus Area Office has grown considerably and this position has been created to support the Area Manager, taking some the burden of line management and day to day management of the programme. The Programme Manager (PM) is responsible for implementing holistic and needs based programmes and representing NRC at coordination forums, as delegated from Area Manager. The PM is a member of the Area Senior Management Team.
Specific responsibilities for this position include:
- Deputy AM when appointed
- Ensure systems for program quality control, monitoring and evaluation, and approach to identifying and acting on key learning in project implementation
- Contribute to SRO proposal development, identify donor needs / donor challenges, develop area protocol for go / no go decisions on funding opportunities
- Regular conference calls, assist with visits and coordination with Donors and other external stakeholders at the area level, in coordination with the AM
- Contribute to planning and implementation of needs assessments, with CC Specialists, including for new areas of operation
- Work with CC PMs to develop programmatic strategy for both emergency and transitional/ durable solutions responses (with a focus on returns)
- Responsible for the implementation of the PCM system
- Oversight of implementation of projects, including targets and budgets, in coordination with all project managers
- Coordinate with finance dept to ensure effective and transparent project progress forecast
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Contract period: 12 months
Duty Station: Syria
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Syria
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Managerial positions
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-12-19