Senior ICT Advisor
Background information - ICT
The UNOPS ICT Unit is part of the Finance Group within UNOPS and is responsible for architecting, designing, delivering, and managing all UNOPS ICT infrastructure and business applications. The ICT function within UNOPS is currently undergoing a transformation from being a service provider to becoming a strategic business partner. This transformation requires addressing several foundational aspects of enterprise IT as well as embedding innovation and harnessing of cutting-edge technology to deliver solutions to UNOPS that truly address business needs as well as provide greater effectiveness, efficiency and differentiation to UNOPS products and services. ICT’s place within the UNOPS Finance Group also enables the transformation by ensuring that IT decisions are made with a strategic focus on costs, benefits, and risks.
We are looking for highly skilled and motivated individuals who will help us position UNOPS ICT as a truly transformative part of UNOPS.
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Information Officer (CIO), the Senior ICT Advisor acts as the principal advisor to the CIO on ICT strategy, plans, stakeholder management, and other key matters. Central to this role is understanding of UNOPS as an organisation, both at the strategic as well as operational levels as well as helping to build positive relationships between ICT and stakeholders in order to maximize the impact of IT collaborations across the organization.
2. Operational management
3. Stakeholder Management
4. Knowledge Management and Innovation
1. Provides input to the CIO for formulating the ICT strategy and road map
● Contributes to strategic planning and provides guidance and expertise on technical matters
● Contributes to strategic planning and provides guidance and expertise on system options, risk, cost vs. benefits, and impacts on ICT processes and goals
● Advises on unified communications strategies and their deployment
● Reviews / develops business case justifications and cost / benefit analysis for IT spending and initiatives
● Advises on development of strategy and plans, policies and processes for the accounting, budgetary and cost recovery of ICT resources and services including cost modeling, financial forecasting and cost
2. Assists and advises on operational management of ICT
- Ensures the compliance of corporate ICT standards, policies and technologies with organizational policies and standards
- Interfaces with UNOPS Internal Audit and Investigations Group (IAIG) and the Chief Information
- Security Officer (CISO) to discuss and review recommendations with a view towards defining cler accountability and towards addressing the recommendations
- Advises on the security and compliance of all information assets at UNOPS
● Monitors established metrics for ICT performance in UNOPS, advises on improvement plans where needed, and reports on progress on a regular basis
● Assists the ICT Project Management and Support function with facilitation / coordination between teams within ICT as well as between ICT and business functions
3. Assists the CIO with stakeholder management and communication
● Develops the ICT Communications Plan and assists with its implementation
● Assists with the management of internal stakeholders and advises the CIO on key issues to resolve or address with different stakeholders / stakeholder groups
● Authors communication material to inform different stakeholder groups on ICT strategy, plans, initiatives, and news
● Contributes to the awareness of cyber security-related issues in coordination with the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
4. Embeds relevant knowledge management and innovation within ICT as well as across the organisation
● Contributes to the development of internal capacity across the organization in the area of ICT
● Constantly monitors and evaluates UNOPS policies, procedures, methods, tools and associated systems to ensure its utility, applicability and efficacy
● Recommends new policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices in business operations to enhance services
● Leads / organises training and awareness / showcasing events and design / set training agendas to build capacity of stakeholders across the business
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Business Administration, Computer Science or other relevant discipline is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in combination with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of master’s degree.
- Secondary education in combination with additional six years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a master's degree
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in IT is required, including at least 3 years in senior level roles
- Proven track record in the field of information technology and the implementation and management of large-scale Business Applications in large, international organizations or multi-national corporations with country-based operations is required
- Significant experience with managing and maintaining enterprise-level Business Applications in large, complex environments is required
- Proven track record in delivering complex business applications and managing stakeholders in that context within an international organisation is required
- Proven track record in managing IT governance processes is required
- Experience managing / working in an IT environment with Unit4 Business World (UBW) ERP is highly desired
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: P4
Contract duration: one year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.