Gender and Youth Officer- 3 Vacancies based in Amudat, Kaabong and Kotido (Open to Ugandan Nationals Only)
Mercy Corps does high-quality, analytical work in very difficult places. We have been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently implement development programs in the Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja sub-regions of Uganda with funding from USAID, DFID and ECHO, among others. Apolou (“Growth” in Nga’karimojong) is a 5-year USAID funded DFSA activity operating in the four districts of Moroto, Kotido, Kaabong and Amudat. Apolou has four objectives grounded in social behaviour change and supports gender-transformative and resilience outcomes:
Inclusive and effective governance contributes to food and nutrition security.
Improved health and nutritional status of pregnant and lactating women, children under five and adolescent girls.
Improved WASH conditions.
Adolescent girls, adolescent boys, women and men access diverse and secure livelihoods through improved capacities and strengthen market systems.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Gender and Youth Officer will work as part of a team of three gender officers, and will report to a Gender and Youth Team Lead. S/he will support the implementation of a five-year cross-sectoral gender integration strategy aimed at ensuring that program activities result in equitable outcomes for male and female beneficiaries of different age groups, socio-economic backgrounds and abilities across target communities. S/he will work closely with sector teams to ensure the effective and timely execution of gender –related and women and girl focused activities; support the M&EL team to include a gender and youth perspective in research, mid-term and endline evaluations and to mainstream sex and age disaggregated and gender sensitive indicators into the overall M&EL framework.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Support the Gender and Youth Team Lead with the planning and implementation of Apolou’s gender integration strategy and suggest ways to improve on same.
· Support sectorally-focused gender and youth mainstreaming trainings and refresher trainings for all team members, consortium and partner organization staff.
· Assist with assessment activities to ensure that team members apply a gender analysis and youth perspective in the collection, analysis, use and reporting of data.
· Maintain close communication about gender activities with teams during regular planning and coordination sessions.
· Identify the need for and supervise the implementation of activities designed to promote greater access, inclusion and empowerment for traditionally excluded groups (Karamajong traders, adult women, young males, adolescent girls, the elderly and people living with disabilities) in the areas of economic development, maternal and child health, WASH and governance.
● Work closely with sector teams and build their capacity to deliver high quality gender and youth integration work.
● Provide substantive input into the design and implementation of Apolou’s gender behaviour change communication strategy, GBV, youth and adolescent work and engage in assigned community outreach activities.
● Help to translate and adapt all communication materials to the local language and context to increase effectiveness.
● Assist team to identify and address barriers to recruiting and retaining female staff and to maintaining a gender-friendly work environment.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
● Provide ongoing mentorship to teams on data collection processes for completeness, accuracy and timely submission.
● Work closely with project team leads and the M&E team to ensure Apolou meets Mercy Corps’ Gender Minimum Standards, and that SADD and gender –sensitive data is regularly analysed and used to inform program decisions.
● Conduct regular field visits to ensure that program activities are gender sensitive and in line with the gender strategy.
● Support and mentor community partners on data collection and use.
External Representation and Coordination:
● Support from district and sub-county government, regional and HQ based staff and external visitors, such as donors and media, in collaboration with the Gender Advisor and sector teams.
● Establish and maintain a productive working relationship with the local Government and Sub Counties, and in particular with District CDOs and youth representatives, in relevant districts to ensure strong collaboration and develop complementary joint monitoring, evaluation and adaptive management structures where possible.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelors degree in international development, women’s studies, gender or a comparable area of study
· At least three years of experience in youth, gender and development work, with a minimum of one year in field posting
· Substantial professional background and experience conducting gender trainings, gender mainstreaming activities, GBV prevention and response and youth focused work
· Experience working in Northern Uganda a must
· Karamoja language skills a must
· Experience working in large scale, complex programs and challenging environments
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office ional and
Applications: Submit your application through email to email@example.com addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Wednesday, 17th January, 2018. Subject of email should include the position you are applying for**.** Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.