Writer/Editor, Web and Social Media Consultant (Russian language)
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development; human rights; as well as humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Communications is a key component of UN Women’s work in the region and constitutes a vehicle for ensuring visibility for successful UN Women initiatives, results and programmes as well as for raising awareness about key issues of gender equality and women’s empowerment. Effective communications also contribute to mobilizing resources as donors would like to see value for money.
Within this scope, UN Women Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (ECA RO) launched a regional website in 2015 to provide timely information about UN Women’s work and initiatives in the region as well as for featuring the impact that UN Women’s initiatives have on the lives of women and girls. Following the launch of the website in English, UN Women ECA RO launched the Russian version of the website in the summer of 2016. The Russian website mainly features the work of UN Women in the countries in the region where Russian is frequently used. UN Women ECA RO also launched an official corporate UN Women account on the social media site Odnoklassniki popular in former Soviet states in November 2017 which drew over 11 thousand members in just one month. UN Women ECA RO intends to continue to manage this account and other accounts in Russian to raise awareness about and advocate for important issues of gender equality and to ensure visibility of UN Women’s work amongst Russian speakers.
The objective of this Consultancy is to provide high quality translation, writing and editing in Russian, in line with UN Women terminology and with a specific focus on gender equality and women’s empowerment issues, drawing attention to UN Women’s work and achievements in the region. The assignment will include translation and editing of communication materials produced globally and by the ECA RO in English into Russian, making sure that gender terminology is correct and in line with UN Women standards; effectively updating and managing the Russian version of the UN Women ECA RO website and the corporate social media account on Odnoklassniki, based on close monitoring of the global and regional UN Women websites, social media channels and UN Women Communications guidelines. The consultant also is expected to provide quality assurance for Russian translations of corporate and regional UN Women communications and knowledge management materials and provide Russian translations when necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working under the overall supervision of the Regional Communications and Advocacy Specialist, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Write and edit Russian content for UN Women website(s), including news, feature stories, country modules, multi-media work, In Focus features among others, based on UN Women Corporate guidelines for website management, web-writing, feature story writing and news writing;
- Translate English language content on the ECA RO website into Russian to be featured on the Russian website, in accordance with UN Women terminology and guidelines;
- Upload the content on the Russian-language version of the website using Sitecore platform (the Consultant will receive training for using Sitecore);
- Closely monitor the English-language ECA RO website and regularly update the Russian language version of the website accordingly (including the homepage, the slideshow and the modules etc.);
- Liaise with Communications Focal Points in the region regularly to seek necessary information, updates, important stories, initiatives, to reflect and update on the website;
- Translate global and regional communications assets (including graphics, info-graphics, videos etc.) into Russian, in line with UN Women terminology, and coordinate the production and design of the assets for global and regional campaigns, initiatives and knowledge management, in close collaboration with designers and other relevant technical support;
- Closely monitor relevant global and regional social media channels and regularly provide timely posts and updates on the Odnoklassniki account to be consistently in line with the corporate and regional UN Women accounts, in line with UN Women global social media guidelines and best practices in terms of posting on social media;
- Provide quality assurance for Russian translations of corporate and regional communications materials, including press releases, statements, publications, briefs among others, making sure that gender terminology is in line with UN Women standards;
- Provide timely Russian translations when necessary for corporate and regional communications materials including Knowledge Materials; and
- Provide and English to Russian or Russian to English ad-hoc translations requests as requested by the Supervisor.
Schedule of Payments:
Payment in full upon final submission and satisfactory outputs/products in accordance with specified requirements. Payments will be made monthly after the outputs/products are reviewed and approved by the regional office’s Communications and Advocacy Specialist and the relevant RO staff.
The time needed to complete all work will be agreed with the ECA RO Communications Specialist prior to being carried out. The Consultant needs to fill out a time-sheet, provided by the ECA RO, that would detail the work that was completed in a day and will be paid based on a daily fee.
- Cultural Sensitivity and valuing Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Ethics and Values
- Self-management and emotional intelligence
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication and Information Sharing
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Work in teams
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Demonstrates fluent written and oral communication skills in Russian and English. Communicates sensitively, effectively, and creatively across different constituencies;
- Demonstrates very good understanding of and experience in communications and outreach/advocacy;
- Demonstrated ability to produce well written text;
- Communicative, results-driven, ability to work in teams;
- Very effective at multi-tasking;
- Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource;
- In-depth knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights issues;
- Ability to work under pressure and within limited time frames;
- Familiarity with UN Women and gender related vocabulary in Russian/English; and
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Required Skills and Experience
- A University degree
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in Writing/Editing, Journalism, Public Relations and/or Mass Communications;
- Excellent command of English;
- Excellent writing and editing skills in Russian in preparing briefs, reports, human interest stories, news, articles and similar work for various audiences;
- Relevant experience in related areas (as identified above) in UN Women or a UN agency is an asset;
- Knowledge of Gender related vocabulary and terminology in Russian and English;
- Familiarity with and prior experience in gender equality and women’s empowerment; and
- Ability to work in an independent manner and organise the workflow efficiently.
Fluency in Russian and English (written and oral).
The following documents should be submitted as part of the application:
- Cover letter to include a brief overview in English (unedited text) about which of your previous experiences makes you the most suitable candidate for the advertised position.
- P11 with past experience in similar assignments; can be downloaded at http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment, a signed copy should be submitted.
- Financial Proposal , The financial proposal should be daily fee for translation/writing/editing and other required work; and
- Example of translation, writing and/or editing/quality assurance work in Russian – provide two examples carried out in the past 6 months.
Evaluation of applicants:
Consultants will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of qualifications and financial proposal. Contract will be awarded to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Having received the highest score out of below defined technical and financial criteria.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for financial evaluation.
Technical Evaluation (70%)
Financial Evaluation (30%) – max. 30 points:
The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal is allocated to the lowest price proposal. All other price proposals receive points in inverse proportion. A suggested formula is as follows:
p = 30 (µ/z)
Using the following values:
p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated
µ = price of the lowest priced
proposal z = price of the proposal being evaluated