What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The anaesthetist, as part of an ICRC hospital team, performs safe pre/per and post anesthesia procedures for emergency and elective surgical interventions, often for the benefit of trauma and weapon wounded individuals. S/he works in assisted or ICRC independent hospital structures, often in limited resources settings and challenging security environment. The anaesthetist is part of the ICRC mobile surgical team deployed in certain contexts, when required.
- Perform anaesthesia during surgical interventions, in line with the internationally/ICRC recognized standards, and provide adequate patient post-operative care.
- Organize, coordinate and ensure that all required resources are available to conduct safe anaesthesia procedures.
- With the other members of the ICRC surgical team, s/he provides technical advice and supports local counterparts to maintain/develop the local capacities and reach international standards.
- In case of field deployment, s/he participates and ensures the availability of all necessary materials, drugs and consumables to perform safe anaesthesia during emergencies.
Desired profile and skills
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work
- Able to work under pressure in a potentially dangerous environment
- Degree in Medicine and a valid license to practice in your country of residence
- Minimum of two years’ experience post Anesthesiology specialty degree
- Significant experience in management of emergencies and trauma cases
- Comfortable with conducting resuscitation in ICU and recovery room in limited resources settings
- Good organizational skills, capacity to manage and work within a team
- Able to perform general and local anesthesia autonomously
- Able to develop and supervise local capacity for anesthesia and post-operative care
- Good command of computer tools (Window 8, Lotus Notes...)
- Excellent command of English
- Valid ATLS or ETC, ALS/ACLS certifications
- Knowledge of another language of ICRC interest: French, Arabic, Spanish and/or Russian is a strong asset.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity
- Positive, flexible and able to adapt to harsh living conditions
- Previous international humanitarian and/or development experience in low income countries (NGO's, IO or charity organization)
- Previous experience(s) within the Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement.
Our operational and field constraints
- In line with the principle of neutrality, the ICRC does not assign personnel to a country of which they are nationals
- Candidates must be in good health and will have to do a medical check-up prior to departure in the field
- Candidates must possess a driving licence (for manual transmission vehicles)
- Candidates must be prepared to accept unaccompanied postings (i.e. no spouse, partner, childen or dependents)
What we offer
- Rewarding work in a humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Attractive social benefits
- Length of assignment: 3 months and more
- Join an ICRC talent pool and be considered for future assignments elsewhere.
Please upload in the system:
- Your resume and a cover letter that clearly expresses what attracts you to the humanitarian world as well as to the ICRC
- Copy of your academic diplomas and certificates
- Copy of your work certificates
- Copy of a valid registration licence/card
- Copy of your passport/s (only the page with your personal details)
- Copy of your manual driving license
- Organization: ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
- Location: Mobile
- Grade: Junior
- Public Health and Health Service
- Medical Doctor
- Medical Practitioners
- Closing Date: