Communications Specialist to the Director General
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an innovative, self-motivated, and flexible professional for the position of Communications Specialist to the Director General.
The selected candidate will assist the Director General with presentations and other communications to key partners and audiences about agricultural research for development issues and CIMMYT’s activities to address them. Reporting to the Head of Communications and working with the Director General’s Office, the Communications Specialist to the Director General is a creative, solutions-oriented, analytical and results-oriented professional, with excellent communication and presentation skills and outstanding organizational and planning abilities.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Support the Director General in preparing presentations, think pieces, op-ed articles, and manuscripts for diverse fora and publications, in coordination with scientists and staff.
- Serve as a key contact in the Director General’s office for high-level visits and assist in coordinating and facilitating special events, meetings, and activities for the Director General during his official travels. This includes developing briefings for travels.
- Coordinate public relations for the Director General during meetings and events, including working with communications team to arrange and support media interactions.
- Assist in planning, developing and implementing communication strategies with the Head of Communications and the Director General.
- Respond to inquiries from internal and external parties, providing information and/or direction.
- Assist in or lead development and publication of organizational documents, such as strategies, annual reports, country profiles and theme topics.
- Support the communications team in online campaigns and other external communication.
- Support the Director General’s internal communication, including speeches and other communications to staff, staff surveys, interactions during CIMMYT events, internal communications campaigns, articles on the CIMMYT intranet.
- Assist in other CIMMYT communications tasks and initiatives as assigned by the Head of Communications.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- MSc in Communications or a related discipline (journalism, etc.).
- Experience in communications, public affairs or related fields.
- Knowledge of international development issues, research for development in agriculture and an interest in keeping abreast of emerging issues via diverse outlets and media.
- Excellent mastery of Powerpoint and other presentation applications, as well as some elementary design skills.
- Ability to find relevant, compelling source materials (studies, statistics, quotes by recognized authorities, graphics, images) internally and externally for messaging and use in presentations.
- Outstanding writing skills in English for diverse audiences and formats.
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish (desirable but not required).
- Ability to work both individually and in teams.
- Positive attitude and self-confidence.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural setting and under pressure.
- Travel availability.
- Relationship with External Stakeholders
- Innovation and Creativity
- Time Management
- Team work
- Relationship Management
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply by clicking on the APPLY button below for IRS17123 Communications Specialist to the Director General.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on 02 March 2018. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.