IT Internship in General Accounting team, UNICEF Global Shared Services Centre, Budapest, Hungary
UNICEF's Global Shared Services Centre (GSSC) in Budapest, Hungary supports UNICEF operations globally in the areas of Finance, Human Resources, Payroll and Information Technology. Internships with UNICEF offer eligible students the opportunity to gain experience in UNICEF’s work and get familiar with its mandate. An internship is the perfect way to kick start your career. Through this internship, you can gain your first experience of daily working life. We offer you the opportunity to put into practice the knowledge you acquired during your studies. In addition to theoretical knowledge, you will also gain initial practical experience.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
How can you make a difference?
As part of our team, you will be integrated into the work flow to get to know structures and processes. Expand your theoretical knowledge through challenging practical experience and work independently on projects.
You will strengthen our team by contributing your knowledge and ideas. We offer you the chance to develop your methodical, social and technical competencies and experiences in an international environment.
This will involve:
Your responsibilities will include learning and analyzing current databases, tools and reports, including:
- Identifying inefficiencies in current databases and investigating solutions
- Defining and automating data gathering, analysis and reporting processes
- Providing process improvements by automating manual processes
- Diagnosing and resolving database performance issues
- Identifying new system requirements and working with the team on all aspects of functional design and implementation
- Acquiring the technical expertise by supporting the team in their daily analytical work
- Taking ownership of a dedicated analytical project and presenting your results to management
- Leading the implementation of a scenario analytics model into a ready-to-use scenario tool
- Presenting analytical results and tools to Senior Leaders
- Additional duties as assigned
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have...
- Current enrollment in a programme at the Bachelor or Master™s level, or recent graduate, in Information Technology (IT) or a comparable qualification
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Access
- Fluency in English, including strong interpersonal, analytical and written skills in English
- Strategic thinking and planning skills
- Knowledge or experience with one or more of the following: data analytics, process engineering, forecasting/modeling, strategy planning, logistics
- Desire to work in a dynamic and international environment
- Hands-on mentality, emotional intelligence and self-management skills
- Essential skills include excellent organization and time management skills, attention to detail, rigor and a strong sense of personal responsibility. Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to look beyond the tasks assigned, take ownership of projects and make suggestions on how to improve the role. Handle and respect multiple deadlines while working independently with different agents on several projects.
- Working knowledge in project management, data mining, forecasting, SQL, SAS, Visual Basic, advanced MS Excel and MS Access is an asset (PivotTables, VLOOKUP, VBA).
- Experience in requirement gathering, analyzing the requirement, application debugging and bug fixing is an asset.
- Microsoft Access database skills and understanding of relational database structures and design are an asset.
- Good knowledge of ERP or CRM systems is an asset.
- Eligible applicants must be nationals of EU countries or be eligible to work in Hungary.
Contract Duration and Terms
This internship will be for a 4 to 6 month duration, depending on intern availability. The anticipated start date of this internship is in March 2018. Please indicate your availability in your cover letter.
This internship is unpaid. The selected intern will be required to provide proof of enrolment in a health/accident plan prior to taking up the assignment.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.