Country Programme Manager
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women work in Tajikistan contributes to the implementation of UN Women Global Strategic Plan (SP) through the implementation of the MCO Annual Work Plan for Tajikistan and in direct alignment with the country’s national development priorities. In Tajikistan in 2017-2020 UN Women intends to support the state’s efforts to implement its gender equality policy by focusing on initiatives in the following thematic priorities: 1) women’s economic empowerment; 2) ending violence against women and improving access to public services, including civil registration services; and 3) increasing women’s participation in conflict prevention and engendering disaster risk reduction. UN Women leads the extended Gender Theme Group, which provides a platform for national and international stakeholders to coordinate gender-specific activities in Tajikistan and to ensure joint consolidated support to the state to enforce its international commitments on gender equality and women’s empowerment. More detailed information about UN Women’s activities in Tajikistan could be found at http://eca.unwomen.org/en/where-we-are/tajikistan
Reporting to ECA RO Deputy Regional Director, Country Programme Manager, Tajikistan PP is responsible for the strategic positioning of UN Women as a leader in Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in Tajikistan. The Country Programme Manager is responsible for leading and managing the Country portfolio and for translating UN Women’s Strategic Plan in line with regional and national priorities, into development initiatives and results by developing, implementing and managing programmes; and developing effective partnerships with government counterparts, UN system agencies and organizations, civil society organizations and with bilateral and non-traditional donors in order to promote inter-agency partnerships, support for UN report, mobilization of visibility and resources to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.Manage programme development and overall management and implementation of programme in Tajikistan
- Develop the multi-year strategic document of UN Women Tajikistan Office (i.e. Strategic Note/Country programme document)
- Lead the preparation of annual work plan of UN Women Tajikistan Office each year, including budget and results framework
- Manage delivery of the day-to-day programme activities to ensure prompt and adequate delivery of results;
- Ensure effective use of resources and compliance with UN Women rules, policies, and procedures as well as donor/fund requirements;
- Manage the preparation for programme audits and implementation of its recommendations.
- Identify areas that may require improvement and capture best practices/lessons learned, using corporate monitoring tools. Take action to improve areas of weakness.
2. Manage technical support and capacity development to project/programme partners
- Oversee relationship building with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the country programme; respond to any potential problems;
- Oversee and manage capacity building opportunities and initiatives of key institutions and mechanisms;
- Provide timely advice on programmatic areas;
- Provide partners with technical advice, training, and capacity development initiatives.
3. Oversee the implementation of programme activities through monitoring and reporting
- Oversee the establishment of an effective monitoring system for the delivery of programme results;
- Finalize the preparation of quarterly and annual progress reports and donor reports and organize progress reviews as necessary;
- Oversee the organization of field missions and finalize reports.
- Responsible for the timely preparation and quality control of all substantive technical reports, briefs and required documents.
- Ensure timely production and submission of all partial and/or progress reports by all members of the project team, contractors and project partners.
- Conduct field visits to supervise, coordinate and monitor field level activities of portfolio.
4. Oversee people and financial resources of the programme
- Manage programme budget; and office operations;
- Finalize financial reports in accordance with UN Women procedures and submit the reports to UN Women HQ and donors;
- Supervise and coach programme and operations staff and manage performance;
- Ensure programme team is well-staffed.
- Identify lessons learned from resource and staff management to ensure effective change management as required in adapting the programme and the office to meet changed circumstances.
5. Oversee inter-agency and country coordination
- Participate in country level Comprehensive Country Assessment (CCA)/United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) processes and similar exercises related to the Resident Coordinator system and UNCT’s planning processes;
- Provide leadership and guidance to the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in supporting enhanced response to national partners in advancing gender equality and women's empowerment;
- Oversee the writing of progress reports on UN Women’s programme experiences in support of UN women inter-agency coordination role;
- Provide coordination support to UN Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and national authorities to promote gender equality and women empowerment activities in Tajikistan;
- Identify and inform the ECA RO of joint programming opportunities and participate in the development of UN joint programmes
- Ensure that UN Women is strategically placed with the UN planning processes, joint programmes and other inter-agency initiatives.
- Facilitate inter-agency coordination related activities. Chair the Gender Theme Group and facilitate gender mainstreaming in the UN Country Team’s work. Play the role of GTG secretariat.
6. Oversee partnership building and resource mobilization strategies
- Establish and maintain partnerships with other UN agencies, governments, donors, civil society organizations, public sector and stakeholders
- Coordinate existing civil society platform and networks in organizing joint efforts;
- Conceptualize, design, lead and implement resource mobilization strategy and activities for fund raising for new projects in coordination with the ECA RO;
- Analyze and research of information on donors, determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women, country needs and donors’ priorities; prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing, and draft project proposals for funding;
7. Oversee knowledge building and sharing and communications and advocacy
- Oversee the development of knowledge management strategy and methodologies;
- Identify lessons learned and areas of emphasis to guide programme improvements and future strategic development planning;
- Manage the process of identifying and synthesizing of best practices and lessons learned that are directly linked to the implementation of the programme and contribute to their global dissemination;
- Introduce innovation and best practices to enhance programme performance;
- Oversee capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge in results based management; results based reporting and budgeting, and systematic quality assurance;
- Plan and oversee the implementation of advocacy and awareness campaigns and fund raising events, as required;
- Facilitate the maintenance of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks related to the sectorial/thematic areas assigned;
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners, including Civil Society Advisory Group for UN Women in Tajikistan.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management in project/programme design, planning, implementation, monitoring/reporting and evaluation.
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Excellent knowledge of gender equality and women's empowerment
- Strong knowledge of country and/or region
- Ability to lead formulation of strategies and their implementation to drive results
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
- Proven ability in managing and empowering teams to work effectively together in reaching results.
- Demonstrated political acumen and technical capacity in representing the organization effectively in national and international fora to advocate and to promote organizational priorities, initiatives and a better understanding of the organizational strategic agenda.
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and practices, introduce new approaches and strategic innovations.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification: