Graphic Designer intern
Background Information - Job-specific
The Communications Group (CG) provides communication support and services to UNOPS personnel and country and partnership offices around the world. CG develops communications strategies, policies, plans and channels based on communications needs and expectations; maintains and strengthens UNOPS corporate identity through official reporting to the Executive Board and other external communications, enabling accountability and transparency; communicates a clear direction and strategic focus, ensuring that the people of UNOPS understand and can demonstrate their contribution to the its success; and facilitates and encourages the sharing of information, knowledge and best practices, achieving dialogue throughout the organization.
the intern will be working with the Communications Group, UNOPS Headquarters in Copenhagen.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Lead, Corporate Branding and Visual Design, the Graphic Designer intern will support the production and dissemination of graphics materials about UNOPS for internal and external audiences.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
*** The application must be accompanied by a portfolio (PDF format/ hyperlink) comprising of design artwork, brief, nature of association and client information of the showcased projects. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
Specific intern responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Designing and laying out materials in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, MS Word and PowerPoint
- Producing clear, concise and vivid materials that convey key messages to target audiences
- Image management, including research and organization of the UNOPS photo library
- To perform certain administrative tasks such as mailing materials produced by the Communications Unit
- Reporting to and performing other duties as required by the Brand & Design Lead
- Perform other related duties as required
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Enrollment in a University Degree Programme in Graphic Design, Illustration, Visual Communication studies or a related field is required.
- Applicants who have graduated from such studies within the recent three years will also be considered eligible for the position.
- Any prior work experience is not required.
The incumbent needs to demonstrate UN core values, in addition to the below competencies and skills:
- Very good knowledge of Adobe CC suite DTP software i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skill, i.e. MS PowerPoint, MS Publisher, MS Word and Excel
- Knowledge of a CMS system
- Basic understanding of Front-end UI and HCI from a design perspective
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and determination to meet deadlines
- General interest in photography and basic photography skills
- Fluency in English is required
- Ability to speak French and Spanish is desired.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 6 Months
Interns are responsible for arranging their own travel and securing any necessary visas. This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend of 1100 USD per month from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lump sum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel, insurance coverage and any necessary visas.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
“UNOPS plays a critical role in providing management services for our life-saving, peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. I have seen many examples of how these activities help suffering people in troubled parts of the world.” -Ban Ki-moon, United Nations Secretary-General
UNOPS mission is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, UNOPS vision is to always satisfy partners with management services that meet world-class standards of quality, speed and cost effectiveness.
By assisting UN organizations, international financial institutions, governments and other development partners, UNOPS makes significant, tangible contributions to results on the ground.
UNOPS employs more than 6000 personnel and on behalf of its partners creates thousands more work opportunities in local communities. With its headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark, a network of five regional offices and a further 20 operations and project centres, UNOPS oversees activities in more than 80 countries.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.