Senior Social & Behavior Change (SBC) Advisor
Washington D.C. (United States of America) | United States
Job title: Senior Social & Behavior Change (SBC) Advisor
Department: Global Marketing
Based in Washington, DC
Up to 25% international travel
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 40 countries Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial and values-driven professional who is looking to make a positive social impact… someone who believes that use of practical and innovative marketing and behavior change approaches can address health problems around the world. Most importantly, we are looking for someone who believes in empowering our target audience through individual and societal behavior change to allow the system to deliver sustainable results.
We are a dynamic team based in Washington, DC and around the world. We are adept at operating in a diffuse, resource constrained environment to apply clear-eyed and modern marketing approaches that generate real improvements in the lives of those we serve. We add value through building and implementing marketing and social and behavior change approaches and tools that take our developing country operations to the next level.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Provide strategic and technical leadership in SBC design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation
- Lead the development and uptake of a new Keystone framework for evidence-driven, theory-based programming that aligns with PSI's program design process
- Facilitate uptake, understanding and adherence to PSI's rigorous quality standards in program design and execution through its Keystone framework
- Steward the integration of new disciplines such as human centered design and behavioral economics to drive better consumer and market insight
- Support the evolution of PSI's SBC approach across a range of country and regional programs and liaise with PSI's marketing team to ensure integrated SBC approaches across PSI
- Work closely with knowledge management partners and staff to ensure user-friendly and wide dissemination of lessons learned in SBC
- Provide technical support to regional marketing advisors and country level communication and marketing teams for design and implementation of SBC programs.
- Develop systems to transfer social behavior change and communication skill and thinking to regional and country level personnel through improved tools and processes.
- Support the Global Marketing Director to ensure increased engagement with donors and stakeholders in sharing and learning from new SBCC approaches and highlight PSI's SBCC programs and achievements.
- Provide strategic direction and management, as necessary, to other SBC practitioners on the team and throughout PSI's global network.
What are we looking for?
- You have a Master's degree in public health, communication, behavioral or social sciences, or a related field.
- You have 10+ years' experience in the design, implementation and/or assessment of SBC programs across health areas.
- You have experience providing SBC technical direction to projects, strategically designing programs, and determining effective ways to measure and evaluate implementation and impact
- You have demonstrated thought leadership in the field of SBC and are comfortable writing about and presenting your work internally and externally.
- You have a thorough knowledge of how to use consumer and market research and can both direct and collaborate with external market research teams.
You enjoy facilitating workshops to build capacity and skill sets among country teams.
You have used multi-disciplinary approaches – especially human centered design -- to design and implement SBC programs or brought inter-disciplinary teams together to take on a challenge.
Proven ability in building capacity and fostering good communication of a diverse team
You have experience engaging beneficiaries in intervention design and development.
You have knowledge and understanding of USAID relevant policies, goals and strategies.
You are fluent in English. If you can speak French or Spanish? Maybe Portuguese? Even better. This will come in handy for making connections with in-country staff.
Ability to travel internationally up to 25%.
What would get us excited?
A Strategist and an Innovator. You are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You are open to new thinking and processes and are eager to find ways to make them work. You are intrigued by the challenge of bringing together complementary disciplines and new thinking in practical ways.
Strong technical leadership. You believe in the power of behavior change and have worked on both large and small projects that have used this approach with demonstrated impact. You possess strong technical skills and deep knowledge in SBC that you can and have applied across different health areas. You have solid understanding of quality standards in SBC and can hold your own in a room with other specialists in this area, diplomatically defending unconventional approaches to longstanding problems.
A Connector. You have experience working with diverse stakeholders on a project, from Ministries of Health, to partners, to global health donors. You acknowledge and understand the viewpoints of each group yet are able to make tough calls and communicate constructive feedback, no matter the group.
References will be required. Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship and relocation expenses will not be covered for this position
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
- Organization: PSI - Population Services International
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America) | United States
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Project and Programme Management
- Social Affairs
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2018-07-15