International Consultant to develop the Project Identification Form (PIF) for a GEF full-sized Project on Sound Hazardous Waste Management, including POPs
Overall, Moldova lacks an integrated approach for waste management. The approved National Waste Management Strategy identifies that most of the country’s waste end up on authorized dumpsites, while the existing waste storage sites are managed inappropriately. Furthermore, the classification of waste is not in line with the international practice provided by the Basel Convention and EU norms, more specifically in the definition of hazardous properties of wastes.
Hazardous waste management is also deficient in the country. The quantities of various hazardous waste streams are mainly tracked under the Basel Convention Reporting. As such for the year 2017, around 1,775,269 tons were reported under this MEA, which includes also the estimated hazardous waste in the mixed municipal wastes.
Medical and electronic wastes are of equal concern given that due to lack of disposal equipment and facilities these get deposited on dumpsites or burned in the open.
Based on the above and following the request from the Government of Moldova to conceptualize the appropriate measures in such area as hazardous waste management, including POPS, UNDP is seeking a qualified candidate to initiate an analysis in the respective field and design a relevant Project Identification Form for eligible areas of the GEF-7 Cycle, Chemicals and Waste Focal Area, including re-working of previously prepared PIF and identification of scale-up opportunities.
The work will include exploration of integrated project approaches with other focal areas funded by the GEF such as linkages to climate change mitigation opportunities in energy efficient transition (CFL-to-LED lamps) or waste management.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibility of the international consultant is to work with the Government of Moldova and relevant stakeholders, to scope and then develop a project proposal that would be eligible for the funding under GEF-7, and is technically feasible according to GEF and UNDP criteria. In doing this, the international consultant will be supported by the assigned UNDP officer.
More specifically, the consultant will identify potential areas and interventions generating a Global Environmental Benefit as related to the GEF-7 Programming Document for Chemicals and then draft and fully develop a Project Identification Form (PIF) document.
In particular, the PIF must demonstrate consistency with the emerging GEF POPs strategy for GEF-7 and with GEF eligibility criteria (e.g. incrementality, scale-up and partnerships, mobilization of co-financing, cost-effective greenhouse gas mitigation, etc.).
The proposed project will also demonstrate that it contributes to the implementation of Moldova’s priorities mentioned in NIP and related national policy strategies and action plans.
It is envisaged that the mentioned above enterprise shall primarily deal with the hazardous waste in the country (at first phase excluding the healthcare waste).
For detailed information, please refer to Annex 1 – Terms of Reference.
- Good communication and presentation skills;
- Extensive experience analysing data and preparing analytical reports;
- Ability to work with a broad range of individuals of diverse institutions and levels;
- Proven experience in undertaking similar assignments.
- Demonstrated written and spoken proficiency in English;
- Ability to work in a team, excellent analytical and communication skills;
- Good inter-personal and facilitation skills.
- Fluent proficiency in English (the knowledge of Russian and Romanian is an advantage);
Required Skills and Experience
I. Academic Qualifications:
- Advanced university degree in chemical and waste management, POPs, environmental management or relevant disciplines.
- At least three (3) drafted proposals UNDP/GEF project PIFs and documents in the area of the Stockholm Convention on sound POPs management;
- Expert knowledge of GEF operating and strategic principles, especially as related to GEF-6 programme cycle;
- Proven working experience in the field of POPs, pesticides, e-waste and medical waste;
- Experience of working with UNDP and/or other international organizations on the identified areas;
- Experience working in the Eastern Europe and CIS region;
- Demonstrated experience in capacity development initiatives, notably at the systemic and institutional levels;
- Demonstrated ability of analytical and report drafting work.
Additional documentation can be found at: http://sc.undp.md/jobs/1761/
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Chişinău (Moldova)
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Biology and Chemistry
- Project and Programme Management
- Waste Management
- Closing Date: 2018-10-22