Computing Engineer (IT-CDA-AD-2018-77-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Join a dynamic team to take an active role in developing and managing IT services and provisioning applications used by hundreds of CERN’s engineers every day. Work at the heart of the application deployment strategy of the largest particle physics lab in the world: CERN. CERN, take part!
The Applications and Devices Section, which manages server infrastructure for over 800 servers, supports 10,000 devices such as desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, screens and printers and provides over 100 applications including tools for mechanical engineering, mathematics and electronic design automation, as well as general productivity applications, anti-virus and configuration management tools.
For more information on the IT department, see http://information-technology.web.cern.ch/
Your responsibilities will be to:
Design, build, deploy and maintain computing systems supporting thousands of CERN users.
Ensure smooth operation and maintenance of Windows server infrastructure.
Redesign and evolve terminal servers, print servers, licence servers and filers including possible migration towards Open Source solutions.
Redesign service monitoring, backup and recovery procedures.
Orchestrate service provisioning based on Openstack and Openshift.
Provide and support commercial applications, including electronic design automation tools for FPGA design (e.g.: Intel Quartus, Xilinx Vivado) and structural analysis and field calculation tools (e.g. ANSYS, COMSOL, CST).
You will also:
Provide engineering tools for a High Performance Computing environment.
Provide end-user support on iOS, Android, macOS and Windows.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computer science or a related field.
Proven experience in Windows server administration.
Initial experience in system administration on Linux.
Initial experience in deploying micro-services based on Docker.
Initial experience with commercial clouds: openStack, Azure or AWS.
The following experience will be considered an advantage:
Experience in designing FPGA-based electronics.
- Development of system software (drivers, system configuration and monitoring, etc.): programming/software development; knowledge of at least one of the following: python, C#.
- Administration of computing systems: solution architecture, systems installation and decommissioning, scripting for Windows and Linux, knowledge of PowerShell.
- Customer service: customer relationship management, information content authoring and problem management.
- Design and simulation of analog electronic circuits; design and simulation of FPGA-based electronics; knowledge of Intel Quartus and Xilinx Vivado will be considered as an asset.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Good knowledge of English is required; Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.08.2018.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-CDA-AD-2018-77-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further
- Organization: CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research
- Location: Geneva (Switzerland)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2018-08-01