Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
The internship is learning and working opportunity that targets fresh gardautes. The intern will assist the ICT Officer to efficiently and effectively manage ICT and support to the Ethiopia operational hub (ETOH). The intern will be exposed to practical learning and working experiences that foster development of his /her path. The Intern will work full time and follow the same working hours as UNOPS employees.
Summary of Key Functions:
- ICT management and administration
- Network administration and application management
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1.Ensures efficient and effective ICT management and administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:.
- Participate in the maintenance of inventory of all computer, telecommunication equipment, I/O devices and software existent in the office ensuring compliance with registration and upgrades.
- Effective functioning (installation, operation and maintenance) of all UNOPS hardware equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies.
- Performance of specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs.
- Installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades, anti-virus programs on a timely basis
- Performance of minor repairs on hardware equipment, as required;
- Involve in preventive maintenance of ICT Equipment regularly.
- Advice on project implementation on all activities involving ICT;
2.Ensures efficient network administration and application management services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) systems to ensure that Network Operating Systems support databases, documents, resources and data files;
- Involve in the Installation, upgrading and maintenance of LAN/WAN systems, including applications used in the system;
- Management and maintenance of equipment and applications associated with electronic mail system;
- Monitoring of the network connection on a daily basis to ensure a stable and responsive network environment.
- Trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems.
- Ensure that the UNOPS desktop and network resources are protected from malicious virus attacks and work closely with ICT Officer to deploy countermeasures in the event of the attacks.
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Take a regular backup of the servers and restoration as per the established back up procedure.
- Support HoSS, IT Officer and Operations Team with preparation and roll out of the office business continuity management and disaster recovery plan.
- Involve in the maintenance of video conference applications and PABX operations.
- Participate in testing and installation of telecommunications hardware.
- Support to the maintenance of the Regional Office website, Intranet and related websites.
- Support the maintenance of application systems.
3. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Staff training and support on hardware familiarization and maintenance; software applications, file management/maintenance and LAN/WAN systems;
- Developing and coordinating the production of Technical Instruction Document for Training in Basic Computer Studies and training staff.
- Advice to management, clients and colleagues on subject matter expertise.
4. Perform other duties as assigned by ICT Officer.
- Bachelor Degree in information sciences or computer sciences is required. Masters Degree in the fields is an advantage.
- MCSE, MCITP, A+, CCNA or Equivalent is added advantage.
B. Work Experience
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience.
- Applicants should have graduated from the above stated fields within three (3) years prior to the applications date of the internship.
- : Fluency in written and oral English and local language is required.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to acquire new knowledge and being flexible.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to produce quality result in time.
- Demonstrable proficiency in technically providing user support for all typical office Information &Communication Technology Systems – LAN/WAN/WLAN technologies, printers etc.
- Ability to troubleshoot and provide computer solutions covering hardware and software.
- Ability to keep up to date with modern ICT trends
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge-sharing and learning culture in the office
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Internship
- Contract duration - One year
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
- Grade: Internship
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2018-09-02