Dam Design Specialist
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations
depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The FAO in Afghanistan assists the Government to develop policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition; to help the Government develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use the environmental and natural resources in a suitable way. It participates in the development of FAOâs field projects in the country and implements it, including the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the damaged relevant sectors.
FAO works with three counterpart ministries â the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock, the Ministry of Energy and Water and the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development. The FAO Representation is based in Kabul with regional offices in Herat, Jalalabad, Kandahar, Mazar-e-Sharif, Kunduz and Provincial offices in Badakhshan, Bamyan, Kapisa and Parwan.
The post is located in the FAO project in Kabul Afghanistan and will have some travel in and outside Kabul as required subject to security permitting.
The Irrigation Restoration and Development Project â Additional Financing (IRDP-AF) is targeted at the development and management of water sector in the country through a funding from World Bank. The main project components include development and restoration of irrigation systems, river bank protection works, dam safety and minor dam repairs, hydromet services, ground water development and river basin studies, as well as institutional capacity development.
Under the general supervision of FAO Representative (FAOR) in Afghanistan, the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO), the direct supervision of the CTA/TL, and in close consultation and cooperation with the Dam Unit of Ministry of Energy and Water (MEW) of Afghanistan, other concerned government agencies and project staff, the incumbent will provide technical services to the project\: FAO technical assistance (UTF/AFG/070/AFG) under the Work Bank funded IRDP in Afghanistan under Component B (Support for Dam Development, Operation and Maintenance).
The Dam Design Specialist shall provide guidance on the requirements for the design of dam instrumentation for new dams and modification or upgrading of existing dams in Afghanistan that will meet minimal requirements. It is anticipated that the work will include two case studies of instrumentation for existing dams, supervision of design of dam seepage repair (done by the Dam Unit in MEW), as well as half-day training workshop.
The Consultant will work directly with the CTA/TLs and Activity Leader, component-B. These services would include, but not limited to, review development and design of Dam, Construction supervision, delivering training, workshops and advising specific dam construction and safety issues. The consultant will also draft Dam Safety Guidelines compiled from contributions from the Activity Specialists, preparing various workshop materials, conducting presentations to line ministries, donor and other stakeholders as required, preparing of dam safety inspection reports. Further to this, the consultant will also prepare the end of assignment report containing findings, conclusions and recommendations for the future.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Advanced university degree in civil engineering, agriculture engineering, water resources engineering or closely related field with the experience in dam design and construction. ,
- At least 12 years of relevant practical experience in performing the tasks described above in semi-arid regions and water resources construction works, on the-job-training (OJT) and monitoring and evaluation of the construction works.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- Candidates with acceptable language certificate/s should upload them when submitting their application. For details, visit http\://www.fao.org/3/I8446EN/i8446en.pdf
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website\: http\://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: kabul
- Grade: Consultant - Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2018-07-28