WASH Project Manager
dohuk | iraq
Plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned WASH project(s). This involves assessing WASH needs, designing projects, writing proposals and initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Providing technical support, leadership and strategic direction, other important aspects of the role include meeting quality standards in WASH delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing and training WASH staff.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din. Projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. The Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region. Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Dohuk, Iraq. Within the next year it is anticipated that this position will shift to Mosul as the field base. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
WASH Project Management
- Manage the WASH project(s) in Ninewa governorate, and potential other locations, in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local WASH staff.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for WASH activities in collaboration with the WASH staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to timeframes and formats.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy and WASH strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Line-manage the staff, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives, progress and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision for staff in order to develop ownership.
- Manage the WASH budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH team, Medair in-country and HQ WASH managers and advisers and other relevant stakeholders, with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in WASH coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the WASH staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Support the logistics activities of WASH staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of supplies and equipment for the assigned WASH activities.
- Ensure procurements plans are developed for each project in coordination with the PSM or LM.
- Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Management experience in a WASH context. Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks. Able to take the initiative in project decisions.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then please fill out your application for this position via the apply buttons on this page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.