Programme Officer - Climate Change & Investment
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) is a strategic public-private partnership between UNEP and the global financial sector. UNEP FI works with over 200 financial institutions, signatories to UNEP Statement of Commitment by Financial Institutions on Sustainable Development, and a range of partners and organizations, to embed environmental, social and governance considerations in financial decision-making. Through its industry, thematic and regional activities, UNEP FI promotes the adoption of sustainability practices by financial institutions and the finance sector at large.
The consultant will work with UNEP FI members, the UNEP FI climate change lead, the UNEP FI investment industry lead and regional coordinators, UNEP FI partners and contractors, as well as relevant governance bodies, to
1)Project-manage, and be the main UNEP FI focal point for, UNEP FI’s Investor Pilot Group on TCFD implementation
2) Be the main UNEP FI focal point for UNEP FI’s participation and activities in the Investor Agenda
3) Contribute to the initiation and kick-off of UNEP FI’s participation in the EC-funded INVECAT-project
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
In line with the work programme agreed at UNEP FI Annual General Meeting and approved by UNEP, and under the direction of UNEP FI Head and Remco Fischer, UNEP FI Climate Change Programme Officer, the Consultant will support the implementation of UNEP FI annual work plan through the following project tasks.
The Consultant will work at UNEP FI with the planning, delivery, monitoring and communication of UNEP FI activities in the climate change & investment domain.
Specifically the Consultant will perform the following tasks:
UNEP FI Investor Pilot on TCFD Implementation
- Prepare and execute on all ‘internal’ project-related communications and interactions between the investor members of the Pilot Group, the UNEP FI Secretariat, the UNEP FI Project Partners (Carbon Delta, etc.), and the broader UNEP FI membership. This includes scheduling, preparing, and executing on, all group conference calls, group in-person meetings, as well as all project-related, bilateral interactions involving the UNEP FI Secretariat.
- Facilitate the conceptualization and formulation of the project deliverables, in ways that respond to the needs and priorities of the investors in the Pilot Group, as well as to the needs and priorities of the UNEP FI membership at large.
- Ensure the in-time and in-budget delivery of the Project’s deliverables, as well as their effective promotion and dissemination among relevant constituencies and stakeholders. This includes coordination and planning with UN Environment and UNEPFI communications and design functions, as well as the execution of the production of deliverables as formulated by the group.
Investor Agenda on Climate Change
- Manage communications and coordination between the UNEP FI Secretariat and the 6 other organizations in the Investor Agenda network.
- Facilitate all communications that relate to the Investor Agenda between the UNEP FI Secretariat and the UNEP FI membership, as well as vis-a-vis the general public.
- Contribute to the participation of the Head of UNEP FI in all such Investor Agenda-related interactions that take place at CEO level.
- Handle the organization of related events, especially those linked to the Global Climate Action Summit (GCAS) in San Francisco, the UNEP FI Global Roundtable 2018, as well as those linked to COP24 in Poland.
Initiation and kick-off of UNEP FI’s participation in the EC-funded INVECAT-project
- Coordinate between UNEP FI and the other member organizations of the project consortium – 2 degrees investing initiative, WWF, WRI, and UNFCCC.
- Contribute to the establishment and coordination of two UNEP FI Industry Advisory Groups that will provide a sounding board, and industry interface, vis-a-vis the approaches, logics, metrics, and pledging templates developed by the project. The establishment of these Industry Advisory Groups needs to happen in close coordination with the Science-Based Targets Initiative, and other related efforts.
Monitoring and Project Controls
UNEP FI Investor Pilot on TCFD Implementation
- Clear and agreed-on (between Secretariat, Investor Group, and Partners) project implementation plan, project timeline, communications schedule, as well as the concept and description of deliverables
- All communications and interactions take place in accordance with schedule / timeline, and meet their pre-determined objectives
- Project deliverables are delivered in line with their previously agreed-on description, in-budget and in line with the project timeline
- Project deliverables are promoted and disseminated in accordance with a pre-determined, agreed-on communications plan
Investor Agenda on Climate Change
- UNEP FI responds to Investor Agenda related requests and queries in a timely fashion
- UNEP FI visibly participates in all events and roundtables pertaining to the Investor Agenda
- The UNEP FI Secretariat communicates with its membership on all matters related to the Investor Agenda in a timely and efficient manner
- UNEP FI is visibly present in all communication efforts and materials carried out by the Investor Agenda
a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
Advanced University degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in one or several of the following areas: international relations, international law, business administration, economics, finance with focus on sustainable development / corporate responsibility.
A Bachelor degree with 2(two) additional years of relevant experience may be acceptable in lieu of the advanced degree.
b. Work Experience
At least 5(five) years of work experience in a relevant field, including project management at international level; experience working with financial institutions on environmental matters considered an asset.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Proven skills in building and managing relationships with a variety of private and public stakeholders. Ability to work in a multicultural environment; to discern common denominators in a diverse set of point of views; to rapidly capture ideas, synthesize and translate concepts into real outputs. Ability to cope with comprehensive work programmes, multiple projects and activities in an organized and timely manner. Excellent communication skills, spoken and written. The incumbent is expected to work independently with minimal supervision, must have significant latitude to be self-directed and be highly motivated. Knowledge on sustainable finance trends, risks and opportunities, with a focus on social issues. Desired in-depth knowledge on finance and human rights trends, industry processes and UN-related mechanisms.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement (80% part time) Contract level: International ICA 2
Contract duration: 6 months ((with possible extension subject to satisfactory performance and funds availability)
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Geneva (Switzerland)
- Grade: IICA-2, International Individual Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Banking and Finance
- Meteorology, Geology and Geography
- Climate Change
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-16