Finance and Administrative Manager
Maputo (Mozambique) | Mozambique
International IDEA anticipates to manage a five-year programme “Support to Consolidation of Democracy in Mozambique” with funding from the European Union (EU) and co-funding from Austrian Development Agency (ADA). The programme aims to support consolidation of democracy by reinforcing the fairness, transparency and credibility of the electoral processes and strengthening capacities of the elected representatives and their democratic institutions. Interventions planned foresee to give support to the electoral cycles, also with a specific focus on gender participation. The programme will constitute four interlinked components: i) Domestic observation; ii) Civic and voter education; iii) Electoral legislation reform; and iv) Capacity building of newly-elected representatives and their institutions/bodies.
The Finance and Administrative Manager will establish the infrastructure and systems needed to ensure sound internal financial management and facilitate coordination between the project’s internal and external stakeholders and partners through regular communication with member organizations, staff, and donor representatives. The post holder will also monitor the project’s progress, overseeing the coordination and reporting of funds, ensuring compliance with International IDEA and EU regulations, providing guidance on financial and programmatic progress to the project’s leadership, and leading important financial skills building sessions for fellow colleagues. The Finance and Administrative Manager will be part of the senior in-country management team and will be involved in strategic planning and producing budget forecast for partners and steering/technical committee.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages all finance, administrative, human resources, procurement and facilities related aspects of the Maputo office, and supervises the programme’s support team;
- Monitors adherence to financial and contractual requirements in line with International IDEA and donors financial and procurement procedures and policies, with special focus on timelines for reporting, invoicing and disbursement;
- Prepares financial projections, statements and expenditure reports as required;
- Tracks the financial progress of the projects. Analyses the project’s expenses as required, underlines budget deviations and provides the project’s internal and external leadership and members with analysis;
- Provides support and guidance to internal and external stakeholders and partners in all matters related to grant management, contract management, as well as the preparation and revision of budgets;
- Provides guidance to internal and external stakeholders and partners to ensure capacity of grantees/partners to administer and implement the grant;
- Expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Provides budget management support to the project’s internal and external stakeholders and partners through monthly project budget reviews;
- Conducts risk management in line with organisational risk management policies and procedures;
- Provides oversight to programme audit;
- Carries out other duties as assigned by the Head of Programme or any person designated by him/her.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Possesses the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entitles of the Institute;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a rights-based approach, gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Programme
- Excellent knowledge of project design, grant administration and management, including budgeting, costing of proposals, monitoring implementation, reporting, audit management and acquittal of funds;
- Solid knowledge of procurement and contracting concepts, tendering, contract design and administration issues, multi-party agreements. Ability to draft non-routine contractual instruments and use independent judgement and creativity in resolution of contract issues;
- Ability to review and edit the work of others;
- Possesses in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience in own discipline, combined with a good understanding of related disciplines in order to approach activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Collaborates with programme team and EU finance functions to align financial and technical reporting to ensure the integrity of the programme;
- Integrates a results-based approach into his/her activities;
- Possesses thorough understanding of relevant issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative sprit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- Has established skills to perform a range of day-to-day activities.
- Understands how the assigned duties relate to others in the team and how the team integrates with others throughout the organization;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- Manages a generally homogeneous team, sets team priorities and manages resources; acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Able to solve complex challenges, approach issues with new and fresh perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Impacts financial management and delivery through the quality of the services provided and also influences other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement.
- Explains sensitive information with diplomacy, and builds consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA and the Mozambique programme effectively in all professional circles;
- Fluent in written and oral English and Portuguese is essential; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in business, financial management or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional experience in project/programme management, administration, including experience in planning and management of project grants, audits, or related areas is required, as is working experience in the monitoring and evaluation of grants;
- Previous experience of supervising and directing individuals and small teams;
- Working experience with EU funded programmes would be considered an advantage;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, would also be considered an advantage.
Terms of Contract
- International Post
- Two (2) year fixed-term appointment
- Salary €5 456 NET per month plus benefits
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Applications should be submitted in English through our website no later than 28 August 2018 . https://www.idea.int/careers/employment
- Organization: IDEA - International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
- Location: Maputo (Mozambique) | Mozambique
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Operations and Administrations
- Banking and Finance
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-28