PLANNING, MONITORING, EVALUATION AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT OFFICER
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates the United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality translate into action. UN Women supports improved UN coordination and accountability mechanisms, and up-scales the quality of support provided to Member States in addressing national gender equality priorities.
UN Women has placed emphasis on strengthening its country presences in order to provide stronger and more coherent support to Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant partners to effectively deliver on gender equality.
In Mozambique, UN Women’s work encompasses interventions in the areas of women’s economic empowerment, ending violence against women and girls, gender responsive planning and budgeting, women’s leadership and participation and women peace and security. The work takes place at central, provincial and district level. The main partners are government institutions at the central, provincial and district levels, media and civil society organizations.
Through technical assistance, capacity building and advocacy UN Women assists a wide range of national partners and other development stakeholders to put in place the policies, laws, services, adequate resources, implementation, monitoring and accountability mechanisms and capacities to unlock rapid national progress in attaining national and international commitments to women and gender equality as part of the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Under the overall guidance of the Representative and direct supervision of the head of programme area, the Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Knowledge Management Officer contributes to the development and implementation of the Country Office strategic and Annual Workplans and is responsible for effective monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management in line with corporate standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support CO Planning and Monitoring and evaluation
- Management of Evaluation and Donor Reporting
- Capacity Building
- Knowledge Management
- Any other business as required by the office
1. Support CO Planning, Monitoring and Reporting
Support Strategic and Annual Planning ensuring alignment with corporate guidelines and standards
Lead M&E activities to ensure that interventions lead to meaningful, high-quality and timely achievement of planned results
Lead CO periodic reporting ensuring timeliness and quality of information and data (quarterly and annual)
- Manage information on the UN Women online planning and monitoring platform
Update and monitor implementation of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Plans in line with UN Women’s mandate;
Provide input into CO project proposals and plans, guiding the development of results framework based on RBM principles
Track progress based on programme and project indicators and targets on a quarterly basis highlighting issues to programme managers closely monitoring follow up actions
- Participate in the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), M&E and other groups led by UN Women to ensure alignment between the CO and UN-wide priorities and activities
2. Management of Evaluation and Donor Reporting
- Analyse requirements, prepare terms of references and manage the delivery of all CO evaluations in accordance with corporate guidelines and standards and coordinate the evaluation management response and necessary follow-up action
- Contribute to the development of thematic reports being produced by or led by the Country Office
Participate in Field Visits Missions to track progress on project implementation, capitalize on the best lessons and ensure knowledge sharing.
- Manage information on the UN Women online donor agreement platform keeping track of CO reporting obligations to donors, support preparation of quality and reports and ensures timely submission
- Reviews reports received from implementing partners ensuring quality of information and content
3. Capacity Building
- Provide technical guidance on Results Based Management (RMB) and Monitoring and Evaluation to all programme teams and partners, including conducting practical training as required;
- Provide or assist provision of support to national partners on M&E
4. Knowledge Management
- Identifies best practices emerging from implementation of the CO AWP
- Support programme teams to collect, package and disseminate best practices, success stories and lessons learned from implementation, monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Produce knowledge products for sharing with other UN Women offices as well as with development, governmental and civil society partners;
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UN Women Mozambique’s Country Programme as well as achieving women empowerment and gender equality more broadly. Effective performance of the functions will enhance the impact and reach of UN Women’s work through improved efficiency and effectiveness of programme implementation and results management, timely and quality planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting, increased visibility of CO results and resource mobilization.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Knowledge of UN context and topics: Needs a good knowledge of the role of the UN and its components and the Agency’s relationship with the UN. Needs a good knowledge of key UN topics like human rights, gender, and environment, among others;
Technical and professional skills: Has a good understanding of planning and monitoring is able to contribute to the development and monitoring implementation of strategic and annual plans and reports; Has evaluation management skills, including developing a plan and schedule, assigning tasks, ensuring milestones are met on a timely basis. Has competencies in working together in a professional manner with team members exhibiting patience, courtesy, and respect for others and their ideas; Has good understanding and experience in knowledge management: Has the required competencies to: write accurately in a clear and concisely; review documents for content; assist with formal presentations; articulate relevant subject matter in a clear and concise way; pose basic questions and contributes information appropriately in formal settings; and effectively use appropriate support items, including charts, graphs, audio-visual techniques, and hand-outs
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in social sciences, gender Studies, economics, international Development or related field;
- At least three years of relevant experience in strategic planning, or project design, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience with Results-based Management
- Solid understanding of and experience on knowledge management
Familiarity with international standards on human rights, women’s rights, gender and development, violence against women, advocacy and policy is preferred
- Experience with online planning and monitoring systems
- Fluency in Portuguese and English (spoken and written).
- Organization: UN WOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: Maputo (Mozambique)
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Operations and Administrations
- Education, Learning and Training
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2018-09-04