Programme Associate (Conditional Assistance) SC6 Istanbul
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency in the fight against global hunger and the world's largest humanitarian organization.
Responding to emergencies and saving lives and livelihoods through direct assistance, or by strengthening country capacities remain the major part of WFP’s operations, and is crucial in supporting countries’ efforts to achieve the SDGs. Ending hunger remains a significant global challenge, and must be achieved in the context of increasingly complex and protracted humanitarian needs. Climate change and rising inequality amplify these challenges by increasing people’s vulnerability to disasters. WFP’s dual mandate allows it to use a development lens in its humanitarian responses, and to align early recovery and development interventions accordingly. As a result of this dual mandate, WFP’s experience in both humanitarian and development contexts has allowed it to establish unique strengths and capacities for building resilience for food security and nutrition, including for contexts of protracted crises. WFP is committed to supporting countries by reaching people in need first, and ensuring that no one is left behind.
In Turkey, WFP is supporting the Government with the provision of basic needs, food and livelihood assistance to vulnerable refugees nationwide. This post falls within the livelihood strengthening interventions that seek to enhance self-reliance and resilience of both refugees and vulnerable host communities.
The post will be located in WFP Istanbul Area Office in Turkey with travel to the field.
This post is in the Istanbul Area Office (AO) and will report to a more senior Programme Policy Officer and Head of Istanbul AO.
The incumbent will be expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. Programme Associates are required to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis and are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff
To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities within the conditional assistance strengthening interventions.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various activities and processes within the specific area of work supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Provide specialized project management support to specific and/or defined programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Within the specific area of responsibility, prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.g. assistance needs, resource utilization, programme status, performance) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. assistance programmes) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to ensure efficient delivery of assistance.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners and national government within the specific technical area.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems within a specific technical area of responsibility.
- Oversee and/or review the work of other support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to contribute to delivering objectives to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Other tasks as required.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Assistance||Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect needs assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.|
|Transfer Modalities (Cash)||Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, needs assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.|
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas||Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to needs assistance programmes.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government||Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.|
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience: A minimum of 1 year of relevant experience (e.g., humanitarian-development projects, cash programmes, livelihood activities, etc.) is required.
- Education: Bachelor Degree in International Affairs, Economics, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance.
- Language: Fluency (level C) in written and spoken English and Turkish. Arabic language skills desirable.
- Residency Status: Candidates are required to be Turkish nationals.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has worked with technical teams.
- Has contributed to implementation of programmes.
- Has strong analytical, operational and interpersonal skills.
- Good report writing skills.
- Has observed or assisted with policy discussions.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Duration is 8 months(renewable).
Remuneration: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. Local gross salary is offered on an annual basis starting from TRY 82,920.00 / year.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
28 September 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Organization: UN WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Istanbul (Turkey)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-09-28