IT Operations Assistant G5 Maiduguri
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fillan IT Operations Assistant post at the fix-term G5 level, based in WFP Nigeria, Maiduguri Office. If you are a Nigerian national, committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for people in need, we would like to hear from you!
This position is based in Maiduguri but travels to the humanitarian hubs locations (Gwoza, Ngala, Dikwa, Monguno,Banki, Damasak, Rann, Bama, Gulani and other locations) will be required
To deliver a wide range of IT Operations support processes and activities for a specific professional area of work, to facilitate effective service delivery
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the general supervision of the ETS Coordinator, and direct supervision of the ETS IT Specialist or the designate:
1. Assist in the deployment and dissemination of IT systems aligned with ETS objectives for the operation in NE Nigeria, such as laptop hardware and software, printer;
2. Assist ensuring IT network operations, through the implementation of UN standard operating procedures at existing and new ETS operational hubs, such Wi-Fi network;
3. Assist in the maintenance of systems and equipment by carrying out routine tasks, such as monitoring network and systems, peripherals, running systems diagnostics, patch management and system optimization;
4. Administer user access to systems and databases, monitor system and application usage, such as WIDER system;
5. Conduct periodic maintenance and support missions to the humanitarian hubs locations;
6. Support of users of technology and systems on best effort basis;
7. Perform other related duties as assigned.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Critical Success Factors
1. Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust data discrepancies.
2. Identify and resolve operational problems.
3. Ability to communicate moderately complex matters clearly and concisely
4. Ability to perform detailed work, work of a confidential nature and/or to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
5. Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Governance, Strategy and Architecture||Demonstrates awareness of overall IT governance structure and system architecture development to support the process and assist in design of interaction between systems.|
|Change Implementation, Project management, Planning and Optimization||Has basic understanding of project management principles to provide basic estimates on timing, resource utilisation and costs to facilitate the project planning process.|
|Technical Expertise||Continuously updates one’s own knowledge about new technologies and product modifications; Is sought out for advice/expertise and recognized internally as an important technical reference.|
|Service Management||Understands and follows the established standards and protocols for service excellence within own domain to maintain quality of delivery and high levels of customer satisfaction.|
|Client Management||Exhibits a detailed understanding of customers’ IT requests in order to effectively address and manage internal customers ‘needs. Identifies recurrent issues to propose long-term solutions.|
|Procurement and Contract Management||Assists in the technology selection process by collating information on vendors and/or products for evaluation against criteria.|
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English
Experience: 6 years of progressive work experience in the relevant area.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has experience resolving more complex technical issues.
• Has worked with head of units in defining requirements for functional area.
• Has experience with the application of client services standards to resolve or escalate clients’ service problems.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only Nigerian nationals are eligible to apply for this position
Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation package. For more details please visit International Civil Service Commision website: http://icsc.un.org
IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
WFP will apply a rigorous and transparent selection process including thorough assessment of technical skills to ensure the best candidates are selected for the job. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information on academic qualifications, employment record and language skills. WFP will only consider academic credentials and degrees obtained from an accredited educational institution. Only successful candidates will be invited for an interview.
WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply to become a part of the organization.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
07 October 2018