National Consultant, Gender and Statistics
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts.
The Government of Uganda developed several indicators under the National Development Plan and the Vision 2040 which are strategic frameworks addressing domestic needs in regard to the countries development priorities. According to the Plan for National Statistics Development in line with the National Development Plan, Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) is tasked to produce gender disaggregated statistics to inform policies and programmes for informed decision making, programme implementation and monitoring because there is general lack of gender disaggregated data.
UN Women with funding support from the Government of Sweden and DFID and in collaboration with the national statistical office is recruiting, a Consultant to support the development and implementation of a national gender statistics framework in Uganda.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Country Representative, and immediate supervision of the Team Leader Gender Statistics, the Consultant contributes to the effective management of UN Women programmes and projects. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women Regional Office and HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under the Gender Statistics portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall objective of the assignment is to support the delivery of specific activities in the UN Women Making Every Women and Girl Count (MEWGC) program “Supporting the Monitoring and Implementation of the SDGs through Better Production and Use of Gender Statistics”.
The Consultant will work closely with the Directorate of Statistical Coordination Services, UBOS and UN Women. The assignment will consist of the following tasks:
- The Consultant will support the implementation plan of gender statistics activities mentioned in MEWGC project document.
- The implementation plan includes the unpacking the activities into various sub-activities, time frame, budget and implementing agency/responsible partners. The implementation plan should be finalized in consultation with UN Women management and partners.
- Support UN Women to develop Annual Work Plan 2019 for Gender Statistics and updating the workplan as per the feedback.
- Coordinate with the DSCS gender statistics Unit in the UBOS to finalise the sector profiles and finalise the documents following the suggested process by UBOS.
- Coordinate with the EVAW team and finalise the contract with JLOS to update the VAWG data collection tool
- Provide administrative support to the other programmes of UN Women to accomplish their assignments.
- Provide technical support to prepare the periodic report of UBOS and UN Women for gender statistics.
- Provide administrative and technical support to organize the capacity building programs as per the workplan of 2018
- Liaison with the IT section of UBOS to finalise the on-going activity for the creation of web-based gender statistics portal
- Any other activities as per the requirement of the gender statistics section
- Support implementation plan for UBOS and UN Women of gender statistics activities mentioned in MEWGC project document
- Support the finalization of budget with JLOS for revision of administrative data tool;
- Support the finalization process of the annual work plan of gender statistics
- Support in drafting the quarterly progress report of DFID and MEWGC supported activities
- Finalise the sector profiles through the validation meeting with the gender statistics committees and support the printing process
- Organize the capacity building program for the statisticians from UBOS/MDAs and sectors in consultation with UBOS
- Any other activity as per the instruction by the country office.
Location, Timeline/ Estimated Duration of Assignment:
- The location of assignment is Kampala for the total contract period;
The entire time period of the assignment will be from 1 November 2018 to 30 April 2018. A total of six months (with possibility of extension) for the assignment. The exact months will be defined in line with the progress of work plan and will be subject to approval from UN Women Country Representative.
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect for Diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents.
- Build support for the organization and ensure political acumen.
Development and Innovation:
- Support staff competence development, and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation.
Work in teams:
- Build and promote effective teams. Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communication and Information Sharing:
- Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Share knowledge across the organization and build a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Ensure fair and transparent decision-making processes and manage risk.
- Proven ability to produce high quality reports and to work under tight deadlines;
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise on statistical production processes and data analysis from gender equality and women’s rights perspective;
- Proven ability to advocate and provide policy advice to senior government officials, international development partners, civil society representatives etc;
- Ability to lead strategic planning and reporting processes with multi-stakeholder involvement and interaction;
- Excellent English communication and writing skills, preferably with published research studies, articles in scholarly journals and/or policy briefs or similar.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Gender studies, Human Rights Social Sciences or related field;
- A Master’s Degree in any of these fields will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 7 years relevant experience in development projects including hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects in the field of gender and human rights of women, specifically gender statistics or gender equality;
- Good knowledge and experience in leading and designing gender statistical capacity enhancement programs for national statistical offices and other government institutions (UBOS/MDAs/HLGs) and particularly in Uganda;
- A relevant working experience in Uganda is added advantage.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of official national language is essential.
Qualified and interested candidates should submit a detailed P-11 (CV) along with supporting documentation.
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document on line comprising of:
- A duly completed Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability;
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and, telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references.
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment;
Qualified women candidates are highly encouraged to apply.