Quality Assurance Manager
Damascus (Syria) | Syria | with occasional travel to project locations out of damascus | aleppo and deir ez-zor bases | pending security clearance
Quality Assurance Manager
Provide oversight of internal controls and overall governance for Finance and Logistics, as well as non-technical monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning components of the Syria Programme. In its governance role, the QAM will conduct spot checks on Finance and Logistic transactions and procedures, ensuring compliance and regularity. The QAM will also support the design, assessment, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programme- and project-level impact indicators, working closely with field technical advisors in developing effective digital tools (focusing particularly on remote oversight of field bases), evaluating data, and contributing towards best practice and organizational learning. The role will also involve capacity training of programme staff on the implementation of M&E systems.
Medair has been operational in Syria since January 2015, with a Country Office based in Damascus, and 3 field bases in the following locations: Damascus; Aleppo; Deir Ez-Zor.
The programme is active in Medair’s key sectors: Health and Nutrition (support of basic health services including infrastructure repair, equipment and capacity building), Protection (in particular support of people with physical disabilities), WASH (small- to medium-sized repairs of water and sanitation networks) as well as Shelter (rehabilitation of household shelters and distributions of NFIs).
Humanitarian access is a challenge, including restrictions on international staff in obtaining entry visas as well as access to project locations. Consequently, good governance systems and effective remote monitoring are keys to successful programming.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Damascus, Syria. The position is based in Damascus, Syria, with occasional travel to project locations out of Damascus, Aleppo and Deir Ez-Zor bases, pending security clearance.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
February 2019. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Internal Control / Governance
- Work with Regional- and GSO-level support functions to develop and implement tools for effective internal controls and governance of remote management.
- Regular- and spot-checks on transactions and procedures to ensure compliance and regularity.
Monitoring & Evaluation Management
- Oversee implementation of M&E systems and frameworks, developing the quality control systems and mechanisms needed to guarantee proper management of information and data.
- Work with Senior Programme staff to develop assessment and monitoring plans for all proposals.
- Ensure that M&E requirements are budgeted at appropriate stages in project management cycle.
- Coordinate with Area Managers to oversee implementation of assessments and monitoring activities.
- Work with GSO M&E Advisor and Regional IM team to develop tools for M&E and effective remote management.
- Support the development of innovative data collection and monitoring tools, technology and software.
- Train programme staff on MEAL concepts, M&E tools, data collection and data analysis.
- Ensure the writing of timely and accurate analytical reports for lessons learnt, assessments, monitoring and donor reports and proposals.
- Ensure mainstreaming of cross-cutting issues (e.g. AAP, Protection) into programming.
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance and further development of humanitarian accountability mechanisms.
- Support monitoring, evaluation and programmatic learning.
- Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and donor proposals.
- Develop appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with programme and support teams – both at Country-office and Field base levels.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in M&E, public health, biostatics, international development or other relevant social science.
- Training and experience in epidemiology, statistics and software, including SPSS, STATA or EPI info.
- Additional experience in finance and logistics is preferable.
- The candidate will need to be fluent in spoken and written English. Ability to read and write in Arabic is desirable.
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in an international humanitarian setting such as research, evaluation, assessments, M&E and programmes.
- Experience in Finance and Logistics desirable.
- Thorough knowledge on SPHERE, CHS, and child rights, etc. essential. Thorough knowledge on the humanitarian operations cluster operations and major donor M&E requirements essential.
- 2 years of management including supervision, training and mentoring.
- Strong numerical and report-writing skills with excellent attention to details.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting.
- Excellent computer skills. Proficiency using Qlik (or similar), SPSS, STATA, EPI-INFO and/ or SMART-ENA.
- Experience in using and implementing ODK system.
- Problem solving ability, critical-thinker, excellent communicator.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.