National Consultant to Develop an Abridged Version, issue Papers and a Project Document for the Women in Business Project
UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality are translated into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts while building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In this regard, UN Women has combined efforts with the Women Business Organizations in Uganda under the auspices of Uganda Women Entrepreneur Association Limited (UWEAL), Business and Professional Women ( BPW), Public Sector Foundation Uganda ( PSFU), Women Advance Africa Network (WAA) and African Women Agricultural Network to have a coordinated approach and voice to engage the relevant government ministries and agencies as well as the private sector on key pertinent issues that affect women entrepreneurs and women business organizations for purposes of improving the operating environment for women entrepreneurs as well as increasing their participation and profitability of their enterprises.
From the consultations made with the various Women Business Organizations, four critical issues were identified to govern the advocacy and engagement campaign. The four issues are: the need for women ‘s participation in public procurement, the necessity of having an innovation and incubation center, widening access to affordable finance and the need to promote a gender responsive private/corporate sector. A comprehensive paper was developed out of the participatory and consultative processes. It is against the above background that UN Women would like to support the Women Business Organizations to have a consultant to package the document into a programme document as well as develop issue papers and briefs on each of the four key issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will work directly with the Executive Director, of Uganda Women Entrepreneurs Limited with close supervision from the Programme Specialist UN Women.
The consultant is expected to analyze the comprehensive paper developed by the women business organizations and undertake the following:
- Development of an abridged version with graphics
- Development of issue papers on each of the four focus areas.
- Develop a project document with a results framework and the budget
- Present the draft documents to the validation team
- Finalize the documents after addressing all the comments from the validation team
- Inception report after contract signing;
- 1stDraft developed and presented to UWEAL and UN Women team;
- Validation workshop
- Second draft of all the documents
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The duration of the assignment will be 8 working days
The contract payments will be tied to the following deliverables subject to the approval of the UWEAL:
- 30% upon presentation of an approved inception report.
- 70% upon completion of the design and implementation of the website with a fully acceptable and functional website up and running.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Development Studies, Gender Studies, Law or any other related discipline with 8 years experience
- Experience in working with women business organizations and gender will be an added advantage,
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document. Only duly submitted application with required documents will be accepted and considered for review:
- Duly completed Letter of Confirmation of Interest and availability
- Personal CV and P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and, telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references. The link to UN Women P11 template is: http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
- Technical proposal:
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment;
- A methodology and work plan on how they will approach and complete the assignment.
4. Financial proposal:
- Indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs, as per the deliverables expected to meet the objectives of the assignment.
Interested and qualified persons should visit the vacancies on the UNDP Site located at http://jobs.undp.org for detailed vacancy announcement and submit application on-line not later than 13th December, 2018
Note: UN Women is an equal opportunity Employer. Qualified women and men are encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.