Wau (South Sudan)
We are Dorcas and we desire justice, both for people and their communities, so that they flourish. We strive for lasting change for those who live in poverty, are excluded, or are caught in a crisis. This is how we follow Jesus Christ.
We are a Christian organization and we work prayerfully. We value entrepreneurship and are ready to go off the beaten track. We desire to partner with everyone who shares our mission. We have country offices in Eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
In South Sudan we have been operating since 2000. Our programs in South Sudan focus on relief, food security, WASH, vocational training and youth employability. From our office in Wau, we manage programs in Western Bahr el Ghazal and Warrap states. Currently, most programs are self-implemented. We aim to increase program co-implementation with local partners.
At this moment we are specifically recruiting an experienced and ambitious:
Employment: 1.0 FTE
Duration: 1 year with possible renewal of contract
Posting: Wau, South Sudan is a non-family posting
Purpose of the position
The Country Director develops and implements the strategy of Dorcas in South Sudan. To ensure the strategy is executed successfully the Country Director leads the management of the country and, within the framework of an agreed Country Annual Plan, delivers an increasing number of high quality programs, successfully creates and capitalizes on fundraising opportunities, is responsible for strategic stakeholder management and sound financial management. The Country Director is responsible for the long term and overall success of the programs in South Sudan. Furthermore, the Country Director is responsible for team management & development and quality control & evaluation.
The Country Director will be responsible for:
- Representing Dorcas in South Sudan;
- Formulating, implementing and reviewing of the Country Strategic and Annual Plan, within the framework of the Dorcas strategy and policies;
- Ensuring high quality program design, project proposals and project implementation;
- Identifying, creating and capitalizing on institutional funding opportunities for further growth and expansion of the program portfolio in South Sudan;
- Developing new partnerships with local organizations and other (I)NGOs;
- Providing leadership for the logistical, financial, HRM and administrative management of the projects implemented by Dorcas and local partners;
- Maintaining and establishing successful strategic relations with embassies, international donors, INGOs, local government bodies, UN coordination structures and other relevant stakeholders;
- Responsible for ensuring strong and outstanding collaborative relations with the Dorcas International Office;
- Providing sufficient security, technical advice and support to field staff and partner organizations;
- Ensuring of (local) partner’s quality in implementation standards, guidelines and reporting;
- Timely submission of reports to all stakeholders, including donors according to their requirements;
- Responsible for developing an organizational culture that reflects the values of Dorcas;
- Responsible for creating an environment of continuous learning, where staff is encouraged and supported to grow and develop and are willing to be held accountable for their commitments.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an ambitious, entrepreneurial and high energy professional with significant experience in program management in humanitarian aid or international development, to be part of a dynamic country organization. Specific requirements include:
- Master’s degree in International Development, Humanitarian Action, Disaster Management or other relevant fields;
- Minimum of five years relevant working experience in (senior) program management in humanitarian aid/ international development;
- Experienced with Disaster/Development Management;
- Proven track record in identifying, creating and capitalizing on institutional funding opportunities;
- Knowledge of and experience in coordination within the UN cluster system;
- Demonstrated experience in representing a non-profit organization and building personal and professional networks at a senior level;
- Good understanding of program, financial and operational management processes;
- Good understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development;
- Experience building, leading and developing a growing team of staff with different backgrounds and expertise, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance;
- Extensive experience working in an international, fragile and cross cultural context;
- Experience in managing safety & security needs;
- Results driven and motivated by a sense of performance excellence;
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and written (including presentation skills);
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, interpersonal and cross cultural sensitivity;
- Settled character with ability to cope with stressful, delicate and possibly dangerous situations;
- Fluent in English;
- Being a Christian, adhering to the Christian identity of Dorcas and experienced conveying the Christian identity to team members;
- Full support for the vision and mission of Dorcas.
Dorcas offers the opportunity to become part of a growing International NGO with a dedicated team of professionals. Dorcas offers a suitable pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Furthermore, you will be offered an initial 12 month contract. Depending on continued funding, your performance and fit with the organization and staff, the contract will be extended.
Information and application
Interested and qualified candidates are kindly invited to send a cover letter and resume (both in English) no later than January 14th, 2019 to email@example.com. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for wanting to become part of Dorcas, being a Christian organisation.
For more information about this position or the recruitment process, please contact Mr. David Karelse, Recruitment Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at +31682568838.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. An (e) assessment may be part of the recruitment process.
Recruitment is subject to successful completion of all applicable background checks, including references and criminal record checks.
- Organization: Dorcas
- Location: Wau (South Sudan)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Managerial positions
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Closing Date: 2019-01-14