Regional Roving Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor - Region Middle East
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Middle East Regional Office based in Amman, Jordan was created in January 2014 as part of NRC’s reorganization process. We currently have more than 3,000 staff in the Middle East region assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria, Libya Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan and Palestine. Our work is concentrated on the shelter, education, food security, legal assistance and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programs.
NRC operations is in the Middle East have grown significantly in recent years and further growth is expected in the months to come. With large operations in such fluid contexts, the NRC Middle East Regional Office has a stimulating and rewarding work environment, a collaborative workforce and genuine place of passion responding to a region in crisis.
The Regional Roving M&E Advisor will be required to undertake short-term missions ranging from a couple days to a couple of months, to NRC country offices in the Middle East (Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria and Libya). He/she will report to the Regional M&E Manager, with the overall job purpose to provide support in the direct implementation of the M&E Framework in country offices, building M&E capacity, supporting the achievement of strategic M&E objectives and providing gap-filling where M&E management capacity is diminished. Between field assignments, the post-holder will be working from home, or the Middle East Regional Office in Amman, contributing to organisational best practice, and supporting the general mission and objectives of the unit. It is expected that the post-holder has sound knowledge of key NRC initiatives, such as integrated programming, durable solutions, working in hard to reach areas; plus specifics on monitoring and evaluation of such initiatives
Specific responsibilities related to the position include:
1. Provide technical guidance, assistance and direct support for country M&E systems; to be accomplished by:
- Provision of direct in-country technical assistance and support, based on a request and/or identification of need, and a mission TOR developed by the Regional M&E Manager in coordination with the country office
- Strengthening technical capacity of country office M&E teams, programme staff and managers through direct one-to-one support and mentoring, training of trainers, trainings and workshops
- Support country offices establish the correct M&E staffing structure and responsibility matrix (RACI) required for specific operations
- Support country offices in their use of data for evidence based programming
2. Support Country Offices with correct implementation of the results monitoring framework/system and the global reporting system (GORS); to be accomplished by:
- Promoting use of PowerBI as an analysis tool for output and outcome data
- Ensuring data flow from collection to reporting to mining and analysis is efficient, effective and accurate, advising on required changes and supporting the process of change
- Support country M&E in the establishment systems where systems do not exist or are lacking
3. Support country offices in use of M&E tools: to be accomplished by:
- Facilitation of assessments and reviews, such as After Action Reviews (AAR), M&E health checks, Quality Assessments, Lessons learned reviews, etc.
- Support in the creation of M&E matrices
- Train on DHIS2 software for reporting and PowerBI for analysis
- Advise on use of databases to support work, such as beneficiary tracking databases, CFRM database, reporting databases (non GORS)
4. Providing gap fill support when country based M&E capacity is not present or diminished; to be accomplished by:
- Direct placement in country offices, assuming the interim role of M&E Manager
- Training and mentoring newly hired M&E Managers
- Working with country management to improve knowledge on best practice within the area of monitoring and evaluation, supporting required country level capacity building and training (i,e Way 2 and minimum standard training), adapting materials to local contexts for target audiences.
- Providing guidance and support with M&E staffing structure, recruitment, annual budgeting and strategic planning
For full position details please see the Job Description attached below.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Duty Station: Amman, Jordan
Contract Duration: 12 months
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2019-01-14