Director: Information Technology & Innovation
Position Title and Grade: Director: Information Technology & Innovation
Reports to: President
Duration of Contract: Three-year term
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia
Commonwealth of Learning (COL) helps governments and institutions to expand the scale, efficiency and quality of learning by using new approaches, appropriate technologies, and open and distance learning methodologies. Headquartered in British Columbia, Canada, COL promotes learning for sustainable development. It is financed by voluntary contributions from the Commonwealth Member States.
Overview of Functions:
A member of COL’s senior management team, the Director: Information Technology & Innovation leads and advises on information and communication technology (ICT) systems for COL’s internal needs and for Commonwealth Member States as requested, by developing and deploying appropriate technologies and approaches. The Director also provides leadership to COL’s innovations relating to technologies, models and processes in support of lifelong learning.
The Director provides thought leadership in ICT to ensure that COL is able to give leading edge advice to Commonwealth countries and sustain its reputation as an expert intergovernmental organisation in the field of learning for sustainable development.
The Director oversees and implements information and data management systems and generates resources in support of COL’s programmes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the development and implementation of appropriate and cost-effective ICT policies, strategies and procedures aligned with COL’s strategic plan.
- Monitor and harness the potential of emerging technologies for diverse and disparate contexts within the Commonwealth.
- Ensure the provision of IT support services to the programme at COL and the Commonwealth Educational Media Centre for Asia (CEMCA).
- Manage and enhance COL’s systems for records management, information and contacts databases and the intranet.
- Provide risk management oversight including advice on cyber security and related regulations and ensure COL policies are updated regularly in line with international developments.
- Provide expert advice and continuous professional development to staff in matters related to ICT. n Plan the procurement and oversight of activities to engage IT vendors, incorporating clear service levels to achieve value for money.
- Work closely with the Communications Manager to further enhance COL’s intranet and internet sites.
- Be responsible for leading and coordinating innovations, including the development of a strategy and action plan for the organisation.
- Identify needs and priorities where a set of critical innovations can make a significant impact in sustainable development.
- Collaborate with experts renowned for domain and delivery competence to generate suitable innovations.
- Identify and mobilise investment partners to offer appropriate intellectual, fiscal and organisational resources to foster innovation for scalability and deployment.
- Work with the Vice President to develop innovative models for achieving expected outcomes and impact and disseminate these through various channels. General
- Prepare budgets and authorise and monitor expenditure within defined limits; ensure direct reports have clear work plans and training plans and conduct performance reviews.
- Participate in all COL events, committees and internal and external meetings, as required. n Undertake any other tasks as assigned from time to time.
Knowledge Services Manager
Information Technology Manager Knowledge Management Coordinator Knowledge Management Assistant
Qualifications and Experience:
Post-graduate qualification in IT or in
Management of Information Systems and / or related field.
Record of continuing education in professionally related fields.
Experience of Open and Distance Learning
(including MOOCs and OER)
Extensive and relevant experience with demonstrated capability of deploying technology systems and innovations for learning.
Significant international experience in developing countries.
Experience with deploying both open source and proprietary systems in organisations. Experience in developing innovations for social enterprise to promote equity and equality in learning and livelihoods
Established reputation as thought-leader in IT and Innovation
Ability to mobilise additional contributions.
Skills and Competencies:
- Injects originality into daily work through research and personal knowledge while encouraging new ideas and innovations; has the domain expertise to be perceived as a thought leader and a credible interlocutor by COL’s stakeholders and partners.
- Proven leadership abilities and sound knowledge of results-based management, budgeting principles, governance and accountability.
- Excellent interpersonal and representational skills for a broad range of stakeholders as well as the ability to lead teams and communicate and work with others, both within and outside COL, by promoting co-operation and collaboration to achieve collective outcomes.
- Demonstrated capacity to mobilise and utilise financial and other resources efficiently while delivering ‘value for money’.
- Exemplifies high standards of performance, honesty and integrity, especially with appropriate use of funds.
- Commitment to the ideals of COL, notably to the role of learning as the key to sustainable development and to the capacity of technology to enhance that role.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with a readiness to adapt to the work culture, where integrity, mutual respect and dedication to the organisation are expected.
COL Headquarters is located at 4710 Kingsway, Suite 2500, Burnaby BC Canada V5H 4M2
- Organization: Commonwealth of Learning
- Location: Burnaby (Canada)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Managerial positions
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Technology, Electronics and Mechanics
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2019-01-31