Digital Editor Specialist (19-02)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 19-NN AA/GRS/HQ
Digital Editor Specialist
The International Potato Center (CIP) is looking for a highly motivated experienced digital editor to lead its publishing and content dissemination. A dynamic well-organized communications professional with excellent writing and editing skills, the ideal candidate will think across publishing platforms and experiment with new forms of storytelling. S/he will be an astute judge of what communications best suit what audiences and purposes, scrupulously maintain high standards of accuracy, and both inspire others and be inspired by their ideas. About the role:
This position will be based in Lima, Peru and will report to the Head of Communications. The overall goal of the CIP Communications department is to support the mobilization of resources by increasing visibility and understanding of CIP’s mission, vision and impact globally across a diverse set of stakeholders. The successful candidate will manage a small team of design professionals and coordinate the work of a cadre of content producers to develop and disseminate CIP outputs, including annual reports, reports, brochures, multimedia materials and more. Key responsibilities:
• Lead the development and monitor of the editorial and publishing strategy to ensure quality and standards appropriate for CIP outputs.
• Strengthen the delivery of effective workflows for the production and dissemination of CIP outputs, ensuring consistency of style, production quality and suitability for audiences.
• Identify and maintain a cadre of high-quality writers, editors, proofreaders and multimedia content producers.
• Manage the preparation of the CIP Annual Report, including story selection and messaging, writing and editing, supervision of consultants, and providing direction for print and web versions of the report.
• Coordinate the development of high-impact multimedia content (video, audio, infographics, data visualizations) for use by research leaders, senior management, fundraisers, etc. in promoting CIP’s work to its target audiences.
• Work closely with scientists to synthesize research outputs through high quality writing and editing into a variety of formats for multiple audiences—such as outcomes stories—demonstrating the case for investment in CIP.
• Coordinate maintenance of the style and branding guides for CIP communications material. • Support CIP participation in high-level events, developing communications plans and coordinating the production and dissemination of targeted content on CIP channels.
• Leverage the capacities of partners to raise awareness of CIP objectives and outcomes. • Act as a mentor and coach to communications staff, especially those with writing and editorial roles. • Contribute to the CIP-wide communications community of practice, sharing and communicating work updates and lessons, participate in department learning, reviewing and planning activities and ensure that these activities follow the center’s standards and agreed channels.
What are we looking for?
• Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) in communications, journalism, public relations or any other relevant disciplines.
• At least 5 years’ in research or science communication, information/knowledge management, public awareness or publishing, ideally in an international development and/or a scientific setting experience
• Experience engaging with communications ‘clients’ and partners and delivering products and services in busy and time-pressed environments. • Demonstrated experience in the implementation of communications strategies. • Experience in contributing to the development and implementation of communications at an
organizational level and engaging with multidisciplinary teams across diverse locations and in a
• Demonstrated people management and team building skills.
• Demonstrated experience translating complex information into various formats and messages for diverse audiences.
• Superb written communication skills in English, with a knowledge of Spanish preferred.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is a recognized world-class international research-for-development organization, with staff in over 20 countries worldwide.
• CIP staff have been received numerous international awards for their work, including the World Food Prize and the Al-Sumait Award for their contribution in improving the nutrition status of millions of households in the developing world.
• CIP delivers innovative science-based solutions to enhance access to affordable nutritious food, foster inclusive sustainable business and employment growth, and drive the climate resilience of root and tuber agri-food systems.
• CIP is a CGIAR research center, one of 15 global research-for-development organizations dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services.
What are we offering?
• Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
• Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
• Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
• Attractive retirement plan.
• Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on February 8, 2019 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Lima (Peru)
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Communication and Public Information
- Translations and Languages
- Scientist and Researcher
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Documentation and Information Management
- Design (digital, product, graphics or visual design)
- Closing Date: 2019-02-08