Governance Advisor - Food & Agriculture
Farming provides the lifeline for millions of livelihoods in Ghana by offering jobs, food nutrition and a firm foothold for Ghana’s economy. Growth in contribution of agriculture sector to national gross domestic product (GDP) in recent years however, has consistently declined. Trends in production of major food crops such as maize, rice and sorghum show that on-farm productivity has stagnated and the exploitable difference between the actual and potential output of most of the crops (yield gap) has widened. Low and inadequate levels of usage of productivity enhancing technologies such as quality seeds of improved varieties and fertilizer, thin extension services and weak market linkages constrain the growth in on-farm productivity.
The Government of Ghana (GoG) is fully committed to increasing the productivity and thereby catalysing a structural transformation in the economy through increased farm incomes and job creation. To contribute to this goal, the GoG has initiated a flagship Planting for Food and Jobs (PFJ) Campaign that will motivate the farmers to adopt certified seeds and fertilizers through a private sector led marketing framework, by raising the incentives and complimentary service provisions on the usage of inputs, good agronomic practices, marketing of outputs over an E-Agriculture platform.
In support of this agenda, TBI is seeking an Agriculture Advisor to be based in the Ministry of Food & Agriculture, working closely with the Minister, Deputy Ministers, Directors, and other key Stakeholders to implement the government’s priority Planting for Food & Jobs initiatives. Specific duties include:
- Support and strengthen the capacity of the leadership of the Ministry to effectively plan, coordinate, deliver and make informed strategic decisions on the multifaceted Planting for food and jobs (PfJ) Agriculture Transformation Programme.
- Provide expert advice to GoG on agriculture development, production, transformation of agricultural products and improved provision of agricultural inputs to private farmers and enterprises.
- Work alongside government counterparts and stakeholders develop Value Chain Analysis and implementation support specifically for vegetable production & provide linkages to value chain actors including value adding local and international Agro-processors.
- Undertake socio-economic analysis of Ghana’s comparative advantages and investment opportunities in the agriculture, and Agro-processing sectors, with a view to provide strategic advice and help develop/implement bankable projects.
- Identify, recommend and facilitate public/private partnerships and/or global development alliances that supports the GoG agriculture development agenda.
- Maintains active dialogue with International donor partners, local organizations, and various GOG offices in the agriculture sector, building contacts to facilitate TBI programmes.
- Support senior government counterparts in mapping, engaging and managing key stakeholders, including foreign and domestic investors, development partners and various government institutions.
- Support the Country Head and other team members with quarterly and annual reporting; strategic and management programmes, including contributing to fundraising and new business development.
The Advisor will be a member of a new and evolving TBI team in Ghana. The team consisting of experienced advisors providing embedded support at the Presidency and to key economic institutions of the government to attract and scale up private investment in priority sectors positioned to generate exports, jobs, and backward linkages. The Advisor will benefit from network effects of the TBI Global team. He/she will also be a member of TBI’s Private Sector Development practice, through which they will gain from and contribute to the expertise of TBI’s teams across Africa and beyond.
All candidates will be required to have:
- Ideally 5-10 years of experience working on Agriculture Transformation Programmes in emerging markets especially in Sub Saharan Africa and or similar contexts like Ghana, including but not limited to issues related to international trade, private investment, commercial agriculture, market Linkages and value chain development.
- Experiential knowledge of institutional development and organisational management, including process and system engineering and capacity development. Experience working with senior executives is an asset.
- Proven ability to mentor, coach, and build capacity of national counterparts
- Excellent writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills. Knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
- Effective inter-personal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with counterparts across a large organization
- A master’s degree in agriculture economics, public policy, economics, finance, engineering or other relevant fields.
- Strong analytical and management skills, including sound knowledge of data analysis, strategic planning, and project management tools.
Above all, we are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, a can-do attitude and ability to consistently achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
VALUES WE EXPECT OUR ADVISORS TO SHARE WITH US:
- COURAGE… because to tackle global challenges, we must innovate and take smart risks
- COLLABORATION… because when we work together and with external partners, we can overcome even the largest problems
- COMPASSION … because our work is ultimately about improving people’s lives