DIRECTOR, COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT
The KAICIID Establishment Agreement calls for the Centre to enhance communication and information exchange in order to facilitate interreligious and intercultural dialogue and cooperation among people. The Communications Department engages KAICIID’s audiences with information that fosters an up-to-date, actionable and relevant understanding of the Centre’s mission and work. Its goal is to win support for the Centre’s mandate and a positive reception of the outcomes its work achieves.
Under the guidance of the Director General, the Director of the Communications Department is responsible for overseeing and managing all communications and public affairs activities for KAICIID. The Director creates, develops and implements integrated communications strategies that support the Centre’s pursuit of its mission and vision, as well as related supporting policies, as required, for the Centre. The Director reaches out to religious and secular media, as well as to the public via public lectures, presentations, speeches, web and social media broadcasting, digital publishing, multimedia and print publications. Outreach to the local Austrian public is an integral part of the Communications Department portfolio.
- Identify and recommend strategic positioning opportunities related to the field of dialogue at national and international levels around which to communicate/present the Centre’s core objectives and broad message to the world;
- Develop media outreach plans to engage key, strategic media and journalists to establish positive and constructive ongoing relationships in promotion of the Centre and the development of stakeholders’ understanding of its purpose and activities;
- Provide strategic and tactical leadership in public information and introduce creative and strategic approaches to reach out to different audiences;
- Contribute to the design and implementation of effective print and digital communications including proactive and reactive communications strategy and crisis communications, taking account of the Centre’s website, social media presence and other opportunities;
- Undertake continual monitoring to identify opportunities, liabilities and propose means to address these liabilities in the best interest of the Centre’s public and stakeholder perception;
- Lead the development, design and production of publications (print and online) as well as broadcast of digital products; oversee updating and further development of the Centre’s website;
- Propose messaging in all channels, in particular, speeches, presentations, booklets, fact sheets, books, videos, infographics, public events and other creative formats;
- Provide support and guidance to the Senior Leadership Team and all staff with regard to the design and delivery of external communications to ensure clarity and consistency regarding information about the Centre’s activities and positions on key, relevant topics;
- Manage the Centre’s branding including corporate identity guidelines and templates as well as newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-letters, etc.;
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support the work programme of the Department and ensure its full implementation; ensure that Department’s activities operate within the policies and procedures of the Centre;
- Supervise staff of the Department by providing direction, input and feedback;
- Represent the Centre at various policy level meetings and workshops;
- Perform any other duties as required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced university degree in communications, media, journalism, or other related field
- A minimum of fifteen years of progressively responsible professional experience in leading communication teams in international/ intergovernmental organizations, developing and implementing communication strategies;
- Experience as a working journalist a distinct advantage;
- Relevant experience in an inter-governmental organization a distinct advantage;
- Excellent writing, drafting and editing skills in English;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Experience in the coordination of the activities and the provision of strategic policy advice;
- Experience with and knowledge of interreligious dialogue desirable;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, demonstrating understanding of their perspective and ability to anticipate their needs and address them promptly;
- Demonstrated drive for results that reflects ownership and accountability;
- Receptiveness to feedback, willingness to learn and embrace continuous improvement as part of change management;
- Commitment to sharing information, contributing to the learning and development of the Centre;
- Balanced listening and speaking, advocacy and inquiry;
- Capacity to take sound decisions;
- Capacity to use insight to make sound judgments;
- Ability to lead teams;
- Conflict resolution skills;
- Capacity to deal with conflicting priorities and to operate in difficult business environments while delivering high quality work on schedule and within time constraints; ability to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries;
- KAICIID core values, core and managerial competencies;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Ability to lead teams;
- Commitment to highest ethical standards and human rights.
English fluent proficiency (written and spoken). Knowledge of any other major languages desirable, preferably Spanish, French and/or Arabic.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
KAICIID offers fixed-term contracts of one year with a possibility of extension, depending on the continuing need for the position. Annual net salary for Grade 2 Step 1 is 94524 EUR. Appointments are normally made at Step 1. If eligible, housing and education allowance may also be provided. KAICIID salaries are exempt from taxation in Austria.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your CV along with a motivation letter. At this stage, please do not send any diplomas, publications or any other documents. Only short-listed candidates will be further contacted by KAICIID.
KAICIID is committed to diversity and inclusion and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply.