Project Business Advisor
Job Purpose: Managing project budget and grant reporting.
- Work closely with and support programme team to effectively track grant expenditure and budget. Monitoring budget to actual expenditures, producing regular and special budget reports, performing various budget analyses, calculating budget adjustments caused by revised projections and advising team project manager and management appropriately.
- Phase/reforecast the annual project budget accurately on a quarterly and monthly basis based on the project work plan.
- Coordinate the preparation and monitoring of budgets for the project as per both internal and external formats, on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
Financial Support and control;
- Ensure timely project payment of all approved invoices according to approved procedures (Payment to suppliers, volunteers, security guards, partners and staff)
- Respond to and process promptly financial queries from staff, volunteers, suppliers and partners promptly.
- Co-ordinate project audits
- Maintains a system to monitor and forecast cash requirements to meet administrative and project expenditures in close coordination with field/procurement /programmes sections,
- Establishes monthly cash requirements for the field officers/partners and make a timely requests.
- Ensure that the VSO financial policies and procedures are complied with by all parties and assist in identification of gaps and working with the Finance Manager determine how to address the gaps.
- Ensure regular financial monitoring in the field are undertaken and any findings and recommendations are implemented in good time.
- Ensure accurate and timely input of financial data (liquidations) to ensure sound financial reporting and management.
- Maintain an organised and effective financial filing system for all Finance documents including vouchers.
Grant Management and Financial Capacity;
- Manage the donor reporting timetable for the project/program and ensure reports are produced in a timely manner
- Check accountabilities submitted by volunteers and staff against budget and query of any variances.
- Adhere to the donor rules and regulations and ensure all staff and volunteers are following and complying with donor and VSOK rules for the grant.
- Support the Head of Finance to produce and submit the donor reports on time.
- Support the Head of finance and Operations to produce high quality monthly management reports for Country Director and the region based finance team, advising on any variances.
- Provide excellent, analytical monthly and periodic Grant status reports to the Head of Finance and Operations and other VSO offices as required.
- Work with the Head of Finance and Operations and Financial Accountant in ensuring that all activities, preparations and follow-up with respect to donor audits are done on time.
- Ensure all institutional funding compliance requirements. Ensuring all grants are meeting the contractual requirements e.g. donor deadlines are met.
- Develop and run training sessions to ensure that all staff and partners are aware and understand the VSO and donor requirements on grants
- Be the expert on the selected restricted funding compliance requirements ensuring all grants are meeting the contractual requirements. Also ensuring that donor deadlines are met.
- Work with other colleagues to provide support to finance team in country in financial accounting and management.
- Checks projects budget availability on Internal requisitions.
- Fulfil other appropriate level responsibilities as defined by the Head of Finance and Operations
Skills, Knowledge and Experience required
Technical Accounting Expertise-. Degree in Business Accounting, Finance or related degree. CPA 2
Good technical accounting skills. At least 3 years' experience of financial planning, book keeping practice and principle, knowledge of internal controls, general ledger, cash management and reconciliations, payroll processing and taxation. Experience of financial reporting, measurement and analysis.
Experience of rules and regulations for non-profit organisations. Knowledge of donor financial reporting and donor procurement procedures.
Experience of working in multiple foreign currencies and understanding of foreign exchange hedging.
Experience of field work and supporting partners and staff at the front line of operations.
Financial and Information Technology Systems - Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel particularly. Use of accounting software, SUN Accounts system preferred.
Risk Management - Experience of identifying and analysing financial risks.